What's new

First smoke of the pipe: Success

So I've been dawdling around here in The Leaf for a while. Thank you very much to all of you that helped provide me with great advice.

Unlike many of my other addictions, it was actually nice to do a little bit of research before jumping right in.

I found a nice local tobacco shop after a few tries. (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/325750-Visit-to-local-tobacco-shop)

I knew that I wanted to start with a straight pipe that wasn't too expensive. I finally just shut my eyes and went with one that felt comfortable in my hand. The tortoise pattern of the stem didn't bother me, so I made my choice. I picked up a pipe tool and a variety of pipe cleaners.

proxy.php

Next was the tobacco choice. I wanted to have an enjoyable first experience. I decided to go with a small tin of McCellands Honeydew.

When I got home I packed the bowl, using what I believe is called the 3 layer technique. Pack full, tamp. Pack full, tamp. Pack full, tamp. I grabbed the dog and wife and headed out for a 2 mile walk. I used wooden matches and did not have a wind screen. I smoked for the duration of the walk. I had to relight 3 times which I didn't think was too bad. (I don't mind relighting.) Occasionally I would tamp down the tobacco if it began to appear loose. There was a very small amount of unburned tobacco left in the bowl, just enough for the Devil. (I scraped down the inside of the bowl: should I have done that?? Should I do it after every smoke?)

Overall the smoke was great. I enjoyed the taste and aroma of the tobacco. It burned smooth and slow. I don't exactly know what tongue bite is, but a lack of any discomfort in my mouth makes me think I avoided it appropriately.

Much to my surprise, my wife even complimented the smell of the tobacco.

Overall, a huge success! Thanks again for all of your helpful advice BL.

proxy.php

I guess my next question is: will there be a B&B Limited Edition Group Buy Exclusive Pipe for 2013? (Just in case I decide I need more than (1) pipe??)

I did have one issue: gurgling.

I think I know the cause of this, but I'm not 100% sure.

- The tin was brand new and I did not allow the tobacco to dry out at all before my first smoke.

- This was my first smoke, and so the pipe probably needs some "breaking in".

- This was my first smoke and I was walking. (I may have been smoking too fast)

- It was pretty cold outside. (28 degrees F). I could have gotten some condensation.

- It's a cheap pipe.

For my next smoke (over the weekend) I will try to slow down. I may also pack the bowl and let it sit for 20 minutes or so before smoking.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Congrats, all that matters is whether it was an enjoyable experience or not. When the gurgling starts to happen run a pipe cleaner down through the stem into the bowl. Being that the tin was brand new setting a bowls worth on the counter for 20 minutes before filling the pipe should help.

After I finish a pipe I will dump the ash, run a pipe cleaner down through the stem into the bowl, and then bend it in half and run it around the inside of the bowl.

Lightly scraping to remove chunks is ok, rough scraping is discouraged. Over time the inside of the bowl will develop a layer of carbon called cake. This helps protect the wood, and will help the pipe smoke dry.

Sounds like you did much better on your first pipe than I did on mine. A few keys that have always helped me: slow is better than fast when smoking a pipe, use a light hand with the tamper, and as you said, relighting is not the end of the world. Enjoy the fun of discovering new tobacco blends!

When you have gurgling the best way to deal with it is using a pipe cleaner, put it in the stem and it clears out a lot of the excess moisture.

I really hope there is a 2013 pipe since I missed out on the 2012 that looked amazing!

Happy Smoking!

Congratulations, all of the above probably contributed to the gurgle. But just to let you know my last pipe had two relights and I felt I needed to ru a cleaner down the stem at one point.

I'm only going to ask this because i'm here for ya if it goes south but, How did you feel smoking the pipe? ( with the quitting smoking cigarettes thing )

I'm only going to ask this because i'm here for ya if it goes south but, How did you feel smoking the pipe? ( with the quitting smoking cigarettes thing )

It's funny that you ask, and I appreciate you asking.

I was so focused on packing the bowl, tamping, lighting, staying lit, listening to gurgle, trying to slow down, worrying about the wind, etc that I never even once thought about it! I had no inclination to inhale the smoke.

In short, I do not think, at this point, that smoking the pipe will in any way make me want to smoke cigarettes again. I will be mindful of this, and if it changes I will proceed accordingly.

I think you will be OK on the cigarettes, I was more worried about the pipe taking the place of the cigs. Hobby not habit...... Have fun with your pipe, if you need my help to talk you off the ledge, let me know :biggrin1: Hit me with a pm if you need to.

I think you will be OK on the cigarettes, I was more worried about the pipe taking the place of the cigs. Hobby not habit...... Have fun with your pipe, if you need my help to talk you off the ledge, let me know :biggrin1: Hit me with a pm if you need to.

Ahh yes, I've got ya now. I am doubtful that will become a problem, but I will definitely be on the lookout for it. Thanks for the offer and advice. Much appreciated.

Wow just got it and already using a fancy loading method

I now use the stuff it and light it method lol and enjoy the hell out of it so I figure I must be doing something right

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
nice story! you've gave me inspiration. I'm gonna try out a pipe one day. maybe in the summer as i'd have to smoke outside and can't stand the cold.

I can picture you with the handlebar a lot clearer now.

Sounds like you had a most enjoyable experience!! Congratulations!!!! Adding another enjoyable facet in your day in a society of fast pace and high pressure is most definitely a positive!!!

Top Bottom