What's new

First Simpsons Brush Ordered Today

Watch out for the fleas !!!

My Simpson Commodore X3 from WCS came with a giant flea.

Biggest I have ever seen, about 4mm in length.

Reeeeeeally... I've been considering a bowl-lathering Simpson (for the few times I reach for my Dirty Bird).

Could you do a review of that thing sometime? I've had my eye on it forever, and this just makes me more curious. :w00t:
Funny you should mention this....took it for a second run on MWF this morning...made MWF lather stupid easy... was going to lather some up later today and get some pics

No fleas in my brush but I love it just the same. :thumbup1:

I made test lathers with Irisch Moos and Cade which helped remove any funk that there might have been. The brush lathered both soaps with ease.

For my first shave with the brush I used ToBS Jermyn Street and the brush literally ate the lather. I always laughed when I read this happening to other people as I couldn't relate at all. Now I understand completely and will have to use more product when I use creams with this hungry brush. I was still able to get 3 passes but really had to squeeze the brush for the last 2 passes.

Here are pictures before I actually used it and a couple photos of the Colonel next to my current favorite 2 band finest TGN knot in an Ever-Ready handle.

I can't believe how incredibly soft and dense this Simpson's Best Badger brush is. After a few more uses I will post my comparison of these 2 brushes as well. I will say the Colonel has the most comfortable handle I have ever used!

View attachment 129433

View attachment 129434

View attachment 129435

View attachment 129436

I have quite a range of brushes, but Simpson's brushes are the majority population in my medicine cabinet. They are an outstanding product, and your first will likely not be your last.

I got my second Simpson just this month: a Duke 3 Best, an almost indescribably pleasurable brush to use. You'll be very happy with yours.

Congrats, I've been thinking about ordering one soon. I'm currently looking for a good Simpson brush, which will be my first. I'm a face-latherer.

Congrats, I've been thinking about ordering one soon. I'm currently looking for a good Simpson brush, which will be my first. I'm a face-latherer.

Simpsons is a good place to start... The first will most likely be the most expensive since I am sure you will be back for more!

It all started with a Persian Jar 2 for me... then I got a couple Tulips, a Chubby 2, Berkeley, The Eagle, Polo 10 and another PJ size 3. All either Best or Two-band super. I never thought the 3-band Super was really that much better than the best grade. Very slight difference in my mind. You really cannot go wrong with their Best grade... MUCH better in quality that other brands "best".

Perhaps you could try a Commodore X2/X3 or Colonel X2L... Maybe the Duke 2 or 3? What about a PJ2 in Best?

Nice choice. I just bought a tulip 2 band from a member really nice brush. It is really hard to go wrong with a simpson's brush IMHO. Enjoy the brush.

Thanks everyone!

I was really torn for the last few weeks between the Tulip 2 in 2 band or 3 band super or the Milk Churn in best. Then I read someone's comment about the Colonel being awesome so I read every thread I could find about it. I ultimately decided that $65.00 was a lot easier to swallow on a brush that I have never seen in person so I finally hit the button.

I exclusively bowl lather both soaps and creams and my favorite all around brush right now is a vintage ever-ready restored with a 20mm 2 band finest (set at 50mm loft) from TGN. I decided on the Colonel over the Milk Churn since I do use soaps quite often and decided on the Colonel over the Tulip due to price first and size of handle second.

I'm positive I will end up with the Tulip before the end of 2010 :lol: I'm also keeping my eye on the Ehsan if I end up liking the handle on the Colonel and if bullgoose gets them back in stock in December.

Let SBAD begin :thumbup1:

Top Bottom