What's new

First shave with the SS Vector

Thanks to a fellow B&B member I was able to acquire a Blackland SS Vector with both base plates, plus a crap ton of Kai Titan Mild Protouch MG blades for a very fair price. This is only the second SE razor I've owned and the first was a Supply that I sold after one terrible shave.

I was shaving on two days growth, using PAA Cube 2.0 pre shave, PAA Tribute soap in CK6 formula, followed up with Tribute Star Jelly AS.

I had watched the Blackland video on how to get the most out of your Vector and right off the bat I noticed the tugging that Shane mentioned I might feel if i didn't apply a little bit more pressure than one would normally use with a DE razor. This was a somewhat strange experience. I'm so used to having to consciously keep pressure very light in order to avoid irritation, especially since I have been using the very aggressive/efficient Blackbird lately.

It was surprising to use so much pressure (relatively speaking) and not get any irritation on the first pass (WTG).

Second pass (XTG) was mostly smooth sailing as well until i got to the sensitive skin around my lips. I got a couple of tiny weeping doing my XTG pass under the bottom lip. Nothing too bad but I could start to feel how the added pressure might not work so well on 2nd or 3rd passes in very sensitive areas. I finished up the 2nd pass and was fairly happy with the results but could see I needed some touch up in my usually trouble spots. That would be my mustache area and the under side of the jaw line and chin.

The jaw line and chin I had no trouble with. I felt I could clean up that area without even giving it much thought which is an improvement over using some DE razors. The mustache/upper lip was not as good. I felt the pressure I had been using for the entire shave was too much for this go around. My sensitive skin couldn't handle it and i ended up with a handfull of very small weepers. Perhaps I can try for the old tried and true super light touch on that area next time.

One positive I noticed was that this razor didn't seem to pose any threat to the moles I have on my face. I've got two annoying moles, one on my neck that is very prominent and I have to be extra careful around and another much less prominent one on my right jaw line that I'll cut only if I'm being very careless in that area. The blade gap and geometry of the Vector seemed to make it pretty unlikely that I'd nick those annoying moles even if I wasn't being extra careful. I was worried that the extra stiffness of the AC blade might make it even more likely to cut my moles but that doesn't seem to be the case.

All in all it was a good shave but I have to experiment a bit more to see if I really like it. It was a reasonably efficient shave but not Blackbird level closeness. It might be more of a daily driver than the Blackbird if I can iron out the issues around the lips.

If any one with some Vector experience has any tips and pointers I'm all ears.

Sounds like a pretty good first outing!

Pointers:

Until you get comfortable, irritation-free shaves...
  • Keeping using it as much as you can for the next couple of weeks
  • Don't switch base plates
  • Don't try different blades
Once you get the technique down...
  • Try a more efficient blade like Feather Pros or even ProSupers (the blades you have are mild and won't give you high efficiency)
  • Try both base plates

Mostly, don't overthink it. It's a really different experience from most razors and it will take you some time to adapt. Get your reps in and you'll get it down automatically.

I missed the video, but went steep with a light touch like I always do with a new to me razor, and had terrific results from the first shave. I did have some tugging initially but found the blades smoothed out after the first shave.

Agree with everything Shane recommend above.

I love the Vector / Kai Protouch MG pairing - my favorite razor/blade pairing of any I have tried so far.

Magic combination of smoothness, comfort, maneuverability, and efficiency 😎

I'm definitely going to keep at it with the same blades and only move onto the Feathers once I have my technique down. I'll try the lighter touch next time.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
You have to "drive" the Vector. This is not a razor where you have a lot of weight to do the work for you.

The Vector is the sports car of razors. :)

The guarded blades sometimes feel like they are tugging a little bit because of the guards, if you are not used to them. You shouldn't have to push much harder than you do with a DE.

shave #2 is tomorrow morning. I would have probably preferred to start with unguarded blades but that’s what was included with the purchase so I’ll be sticking with them while I get a feel for the razor. I’ll try to post more impression tomorrow.

Got my second shave. I purposely waited a few days to let my skin fully heal so I wasn't working from a disadvantage to begin with.
Pre shave: PAA Cube 2.0
Soap: PAA Solstice CK6
AS: PAA Solstice AS splash

This shave went very well from start to finish. I used my more typical light touch and experienced no irritation and got a nice, close shave. I did my usual two passes and a little touch up. I was sure to use very light pressure around the mouth and that helped. I guess I just over compensated with the pressure the first time around.

I'm not sure if it's just that new razor confirmation bias but I feel like the Vector is smoother on my neck area which would be a big plus. I get razor bumps on the lower neck if i shave to closely there. I usually stick to two WTG passes for that area only. I might test out a XTG pass there if things continue nicely over the next few shaves.

I wish I could provide more frequent updates but I usually end up shaving every 2 or 3 days for various reasons. My biggest obstalce right now is that I'm trying to walk to work more frequently. It takes longer so if i want to get a shave in I have to get out of bed significantly earlier than I'd prefer. I specifically drove today so I could get a nice, unrushed shave in with the Vector.

Shave #3 on two days growth
Same pre/soap/AS as last time

Another nice, close, irritation free shave. Well, other than one tiny weeper under my lower lip but that just happens sometimes on my XTG pass.

Really liking the razor. It's on the way to becoming my daily driver with the Blackbird sticking around for those days when I want the closest shave possible or just feel like using a DE. I Also have my RR Gamechanger which might end up as mostly a travel razor.

I still have the Vector OC baseplate but not sure if I'll really need it.

Shave #3 on two days growth
Same pre/soap/AS as last time

Another nice, close, irritation free shave. Well, other than one tiny weeper under my lower lip but that just happens sometimes on my XTG pass.

Really liking the razor. It's on the way to becoming my daily driver with the Blackbird sticking around for those days when I want the closest shave possible or just feel like using a DE. I Also have my RR Gamechanger which might end up as mostly a travel razor.

I still have the Vector OC baseplate but not sure if I'll really need it.

Awesome news! The OC is great to have around if you skip a few days. It's ideal for mowing through thick/long growth.

Another update. Two more shaves this weekend. My first back to back shaves with the Vector. They were also my closest shaves yet. Saturday was near BBS, Sunday was BBS other than lower neck where I avoid going XTG or WTG. No irritation, no nicked moles, just all around great shaves. I'd say i'm an AC single blade convert.

I had a simar experience with the SS Vector, which I do still love. But, the game changed when I picked up a Vector Ti and I haven't used any other DE/SE since then. The weight of the Ti Vector to me makes the shave so much easier and though I do admit was never a fan of lighter razors, this one for me changed that whole perspective. Though they are a bit pricier than the SS version, I highly recommend you trying one of you get the chance, I would be interested in your analysis of it.

I continue to get great shaves with my Vector. I think i'm on 6 or 7 shaves with my first blade. I'm kind of amazed at how great the shaves are with such little irritation and no in-grown hairs on my lower neck the day after. I had recently been seeing a lot of improvement with my DE razors as my technique improved and knowing my skin's limitations better, but the Vector seems to be on a different level. I would never even bother with ATG in sensitive areas with a DE but I don't seem to have any problem with the Vector.

I had heard some people say that SE razors like ACs and injectors might help with razor bumps and in-growns but I was really skeptical. Now I'm beginning to think there could be something to it.

My new blades arrived today. 30 Schick Prolines and 20 Feather Pros. I'll ride the current Kai ProTouch MG until it shows signs of dulling then try a Proline. I'm curious if either of the new blades without the guard will cause any problems with my moles.

Big shout out to Blackland Razors. Both the Vector and Blackbird provide amazing shaves and look stylish doing it. I'm the kind of person who would rather pick a couple great razors and stick with them instead of amassing a huge collection and I'm confident I've found my top two.

I continue to get great shaves with my Vector. I think i'm on 6 or 7 shaves with my first blade. I'm kind of amazed at how great the shaves are with such little irritation and no in-grown hairs on my lower neck the day after. I had recently been seeing a lot of improvement with my DE razors as my technique improved and knowing my skin's limitations better, but the Vector seems to be on a different level. I would never even bother with ATG in sensitive areas with a DE but I don't seem to have any problem with the Vector.

I had heard some people say that SE razors like ACs and injectors might help with razor bumps and in-growns but I was really skeptical. Now I'm beginning to think there could be something to it.

My new blades arrived today. 30 Schick Prolines and 20 Feather Pros. I'll ride the current Kai ProTouch MG until it shows signs of dulling then try a Proline. I'm curious if either of the new blades without the guard will cause any problems with my moles.

Big shout out to Blackland Razors. Both the Vector and Blackbird provide amazing shaves and look stylish doing it. I'm the kind of person who would rather pick a couple great razors and stick with them instead of amassing a huge collection and I'm confident I've found my top two.
The Vector eliminated my need for any other razor, I love it and it is all that I use now.

Top Bottom