What's new

First Shave with the new RazoRock ECO SE (snap any DE blade in half)

• That's interesting. I don't know much about razor dynamics. Just going on my instincts but keen to learn more.

I look at the razors I use and wonder if I am right in assuming the following:
    • My Merkur DE bends the blade, which forces it up against the top cap. The top cap extends near to the cutting edge while the bottom plate last contacts the blade a fair distance from the edge. My assumption is that it is the pressure of the bend against the top cap that gives the cutting edge rigidity. And the fact that the cutting motion pushes the blade up and not down, means that we only need to worry about rigidity in one direction. Absolutely correct. Lack of bottom support is why DE razors like these benefit from shims that extend beyond the bottom plate which can provide support & additional rigidity under the blade.
    • My iKon X3 has a twist and it is the torsional displacement that gives the blade rigidity. Similar to the Merkur, the top cap extends near to the cutting edge but, in contrast, the bottom plate is even further back from the edge. But with the torsional rigidty, the bottom plate is less important. In use, the blade feels much more efficient than the Merkur and I assume that means that the torsional displacement provides a more rigid blade than the bend-and-clamp used in the Merkur. Exactly. This kind of razor can approach cartridge razors in terms of rigidity.
    • The R48, as you say, uses the bent tabs to provide a springiness and ensures that the assembled head fits together tightly while slightly pitching the blade towards the top cap.. I also see that both the top cap and the bottom plate extend close to the cutting edge. Is it the combination of the spring and low amount of blade reveal top and bottom that give the rigidity to the blade? In use, the blade feels very solid and does an excellent job (for me) in going through whiskers. I would say that it is equiavelent to the X3 and better than the Merkur. Except for longer hair, where it is not as effective. But I attribute that to its minimal blade reveal and not to rigidity. I have not used an R48, so I don't know how rigid the blade is, but less blade reveal usually implies better blade support.
    [*][*][*]Does this sound right? Or am I out to lunch?
Comments in blue

Top Bottom