What's new

First shave with tech

I finally got around to cleaning the Bakelite handled tech I scored off the bay. I have a trip to Santa Barbara next weekend and decided I better get it ready, as I bought this so I can get a decent shave on the road and of course I am not going to pack my EJ Barley!

I was surprised to find that it's even milder than my DE89. Using a feather blade it was really smooth. It seems there is very little blade exposure and the angle of attack lies in a very narrow range. I can't imagine many folks getting irritation from this razor unless a lot of pressure is applied.

I did a WTG and an ATG, but had to do a few touch ups on my chin and jaw. For the first time with this razor I got pretty good results, thou I hope with practice I can get better. I do wish it was a tad more aggressive, but I guess having a milder option in my shaving arsenal is probably a good thing.

If you like the Tech, but want something a tad more aggressive, you might look into a pre-WWII tech. You can identify them by the triangular shaped holes in the base plate, instead of the oval shaped ones. I'm pretty sure the Bakelite techs are all WWII or later. The pre war tech has just a little bit more blade exposure which widens the usable angle range a bit. That may improve its effectiveness for you.

If you like the Tech, but want something a tad more aggressive, you might look into a pre-WWII tech. You can identify them by the triangular shaped holes in the base plate, instead of the oval shaped ones. I'm pretty sure the Bakelite techs are all WWII or later. The pre war tech has just a little bit more blade exposure which widens the usable angle range a bit. That may improve its effectiveness for you.

Thanks for the bit of knowledge, I'll see if I can track one down.

A couple of pics of my humble tech:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom