What's new

First shave with Muhle R41 GS

I don't have and have never tried the regular R41 version and can't compare. But according to a friend of mine who has had the regular version for a few years and bought an R41 GS last week (taking advantage of a unique Black Friday price) he claims that the steel version is more efficient but also more aggressive. He says that despite his experience with the regular R41, he has some issues with the aggression of the GS.

In my opinion, when the angle is right, (the sharper the better) the R41 GS becomes an extremely efficient razor without feeling harsh. When shaving against the hair, the top cap should literally touch the cheek. Under this sharp angle, it sweeps everything, without unpleasant sensations.
Another thing I noticed is that the soap is good to have more water. Dry, not well hydrated lather does not work well with this razor.

The zamak version is arguably the best one. We can discuss raw materials and their benefits all day long, but the weight and size of the GS handle ruins the experience for me.

The zamak version is arguably the best one. We can discuss raw materials and their benefits all day long, but the weight and size of the GS handle ruins the experience for me.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, pair the GS head with a lighter handle. Used it this morning and got a superb shave.

I have the regular R41 and it's an excellent razor EXCEPT for the handle...so I replaced it with the handle from the Rytmo razor. It looks better and is also a great handle to use. Pic is from Fendrihans.
MUHR226SR_Muhle_Rytmo_Safety_Razor_Blk_x1024.jpeg

I have both versions as well. The GS certainly has more weight, but I can’t really tell much difference in their shaves.
I don’t understand why Muhle cannot make the knurling a little deeper to make the razor grip safer. This is a complaint that goes way back on their razors and is especially noticeable with the weight of the GS. I always use alum on my fingers with this razor, but even with that it doesn’t feel that secure.

I have both versions as well. The GS certainly has more weight, but I can’t really tell much difference in their shaves.
I don’t understand why Muhle cannot make the knurling a little deeper to make the razor grip safer. This is a complaint that goes way back on their razors and is especially noticeable with the weight of the GS. I always use alum on my fingers with this razor, but even with that it doesn’t feel that secure.
Yep. Design before a funcionality.

In my opinion the GS is slightly more refined. I prefer to use a different handle with mine.
This is with the Timeless crown TI handle.
The balance is just how I like it with this handle.
20231127_220603.jpg

20231127_220649.jpg

Congratulations, enjoy!

Some people reported quite a difference between zamac and steel version of the R41. There is indeed a slightly different feel, most likely due to chrome vs uncoated steel, but I didn't notice major differences, in fact I also would prefer the stainless steel version.

There was also this infamous "2011" version of the R41 which was reportedly beastly, some people might still have it, my cap broke off throm the thread, unfortunately. But actually, the somewhat milder 2013 version is a better design, with more blade support and a longer cap, less "chatter" and similar results.

^ I just added the whole paragraph because... the 2011 version always shows up sooner or later in a R41 thread. Hmm..! :)
I enjoy my Muhle R41 2011 version once in a great while, maybe after 5 cups of coffee in the morning! That and my Ikon Tech are the only razors in the arsenal that I have to be very alert. The Stainless version of the R41 I'm sure, without actually trying it out, is going to be more efficient than the standard 2013. I can tell a difference just putting a stainless heavy handle on my 2013 and there is a noticeable difference in efficiency.

Connaught had the zamak R41 head as a replacement part for under $20 at one time. I had some handles already. So, that was a fairly inexpensive way to try the R41. Turns out, I liked the zamak version. Even if it has to be replaced several years from now, that is still a lot less than the stainless version.
My 2011 R41 had some small, black corrosion spots on the cap which I promptly daubed some clear, Hard as Nails, nail polish that seems to have stopped the corrosion process in its tracks. I have tried my 2013 top cap with the 2011 base plate and was able to get almost the same quality shave. I use the 2011 so seldom anymore, since so many other razors I have do a fine job with out fear, unless I want a challenge, it sits on the sideline.

I believe the GS is based on the 2011 version as it came out in that year - or 2013 perhaps, but definitely based on a different R41 design than is available in Zamak today. So technically it should be different from the latest 2022/2023 Zamak version which is milder (but still a R41 so it’s relatively speaking of course).

Enjoy your razor @horizon it looks stunning!

Guido
The baseplates of the 2011, the current R41 and the R41GS are all pretty much identical in terms of geometry and how they shave. I have measured all three and the tiny differences seem to be just manufacturing tolerances. The 2011 top cap is, however, narrower, which is what makes the 2011 much more aggressive (and much nicer, in my opinion). The later R41 and the R41GS top caps are almost identical in terms of geometry and how they shave.

The GS is nice to handle, being made of stainless, but it doesn't shave any better or worse than the Zamak version. You can use the earlier 2011 Zamak top cap on the GS (or even a vintage Gillette Old Type top cap) and it will shave just like an original 2011 R41, if you're after more aggression. An Old Type thin cap with the GS baseplate is one of my very favourite combinations.

Nice. Have you tried the standard R41? I was wondering how the stainless version compared with that one.

Congratulations, enjoy!

Some people reported quite a difference between zamac and steel version of the R41. There is indeed a slightly different feel, most likely due to chrome vs uncoated steel, but I didn't notice major differences, in fact I also would prefer the stainless steel version.

There was also this infamous "2011" version of the R41 which was reportedly beastly, some people might still have it, my cap broke off throm the thread, unfortunately. But actually, the somewhat milder 2013 version is a better design, with more blade support and a longer cap, less "chatter" and similar results.

^ I just added the whole paragraph because... the 2011 version always shows up sooner or later in a R41 thread. Hmm..! :)
A month ago I finally bought the R41GS and shaved with it a few times. Will post s separate thread soon (with measurements).
It is not like the current milder (post-2019) head. Much more exposure. Much like the 2013. Aggressive.

Top Bottom