What's new

First shave with a Straight, Not Great

I would focus on stropping carefully and give it a couple more shaves at least before messing around with honing. It's possible that the blade isn't shave ready but let's assume for a moment that it is. Things to work on: skin stretching. As much as you can. Alum on your fingertips may help you get purchase. I know you said you are stretching, but even the sharpest blade will chatter and tug if there's any slack.

Shave angle...play around. There's usually a sweet spot but honestly the blade will cut hair anywhere from less than one spine-width off the face to more than two widths. Find an angle that cuts smoothly and then see if you can adjust lower and still shave.

Pressure. The tighter you stretch, the less pressure you need. But you do, for now, want to be making good contact on the skin. It takes time to figure this out. If you imagine that you're trying to lightly squeegee the lather of, that may help.

If in a couple shaves, things haven't improved at all, investigate the edge.

And like someone said, a shavette is a good reference. It's also a lot less forgiving. So keep that in mind.

My tip for the first few shaves is to do a pass with a double edge razor first. This seems pointless as you really want to shave with the straight, but being able to concentrate on moving the razor across your face at a shallow angle without the resistance helps a lot.

Yes, I was definitely using some pressure in the direction of the whiskers. I mean, I did shave my whiskers, it just wasn't an enjoyable experience :)
The most enjoyment from the first shave is when you look back and laugh at how bad it was.

For me, it felt so awkward that I felt it would take months just to learn to tilt the razor while looking in the mirror, because it’s back to front. And it was even worse with my left hand. But it does feel more natural pretty quickly. I felt I’d got over the first bump on the road after the 4th shave.

Update. Took the razor through the lapping film progression and finished with a light stropping. Today's shave was an improvement; the blade is still not sharp enough (I haven't done lapping film or stropping a straight before, so I wasn't expecting much :p ), but it was easier to draw strokes without the razor catching and pulling. Managed the same areas as yesterday (cheeks and side of the neck), but in half the time, and almost close to something like enjoyment.

So, to put an end to my bafflement, I just ordered a Ralf Aust. I figured if I can't get a decent shave with one of Herr Aust's new razors, it is all on me. :)

I've glued some balsa to tiles and I'll paste them this week and try sharpening that way. The experiment continues!

I believe after any sort of honing, you need to do some pretty thorough stropping. First on linen to remove szwarf then leather before the shave. I have been doing some reading...

Glad you are sticking with it, that's a big commitment buying an Aust when you aren't sure about a new method of shaving for you. At least I have my AC kamisori to compare to, you are flying blind. Hence the Aust, I get it... 😆

Aust is a good choice, @silverlifter. Though I haven't used one, I think you can rest assured if a nice sharp edge. Don't strop it before it's first use unless directed to by Herr Aust himself.

One word of caution, becoming proficient with a straight is a journey. It may be a shorter road for some than for others, but nobody should expect a great shave their first several times. Many suggest 30 completed shaves as a benchmark for when it starts to feel possible, and 100 before it feels "normal". Take it slow. Enjoy the ride.

Lots of great advice in previous posts. My own SR journey started with a Ralf
Aust a little over two years. I had no experience with any wet-shaving prior to
jumping in with a straight. Despite novice-level face prep and some lackluster
lathering, I managed good shaves with a new Ralf Aust (rookie nicks and weepers
but they disappeared quickly). IMHO stropping is a must even with a shave-ready
blade from Ralf Aust. You may want just shave your cheeks at first and then finish
everything else with a DE, then progress to different parts of your face with the SR.

I like to imagine DE shaving is like driving with automatic transmission and SR shaving
is like driving with manual. The experiences are similar but you gotta learn how to work
the clutch (and every vehicle's clutch is different). I used lapping film and the pasted
balsa strops for the past two years and got good results. Once you get that edge,
maintaining it with .1 diamond pasted strop between shaves is a piece of cake.
Most of all, enjoy the journey!

I believe after any sort of honing, you need to do some pretty thorough stropping. First on linen to remove szwarf then leather before the shave. I have been doing some reading...

Glad you are sticking with it, that's a big commitment buying an Aust when you aren't sure about a new method of shaving for you. At least I have my AC kamisori to compare to, you are flying blind. Hence the Aust, I get it... 😆
Yes, stropping should always be part of the honing process.

I've glued some balsa to tiles and I'll paste them this week and try sharpening that way. The experiment continues
There are many ways to skin a cat. You have the balsa, I presume you have the paste.

If you follow "The Method" to the tee you are guaranteed to have good results from the start. No learning, just doing, paint by numbers.

If you are anything like me, stubborn, wanting to find your own way, learning, understanding, persistent, you scan through the essentials and give it a go. When things go wrong, you go back and read the instructions.

Diamond pasted balsa progression (.5, .25, .1 micron) in any sensible form will definitely improve your edge. at least 50 laps each on the first two and 100 laps on the .1 micron.

Three essential tips:

1) Balsa has to be as flat as possible - lap it on a perfectly flat surface.

2) First common beginners mistake, too much paste - two to three rice grains of paste is more than enough. You don't have to see it for it to be there and to be effective. Distribute on the balsa, rub vigorously with your hand and wipe any excess with a paper towel.

3) Strop with VERY light pressure, less than the weight of the razor. It will feel like it is doing nothing, just believe it's working.

I went my own way and got good results, eventually. I now get consistent great results by doing everything exactly like described in "The Method".

Where's the fun in getting it right the first time? :c9:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
There are many ways to skin a cat. You have the balsa, I presume you have the paste.

If you follow "The Method" to the tee you are guaranteed to have good results from the start. No learning, just doing, paint by numbers.

If you are anything like me, stubborn, wanting to find your own way, learning, understanding, persistent, you scan through the essentials and give it a go. When things go wrong, you go back and read the instructions.

Diamond pasted balsa progression (.5, .25, .1 micron) in any sensible form will definitely improve your edge. at least 50 laps each on the first two and 100 laps on the .1 micron.

Three essential tips:

1) Balsa has to be as flat as possible - lap it on a perfectly flat surface.

2) First common beginners mistake, too much paste - two to three rice grains of paste is more than enough. You don't have to see it for it to be there and to be effective. Distribute on the balsa, rub vigorously with your hand and wipe any excess with a paper towel.

3) Strop with VERY light pressure, less than the weight of the razor. It will feel like it is doing nothing, just believe it's working.

I went my own way and got good results, eventually. I now get consistent great results by doing everything exactly like described in "The Method".

Where's the fun in getting it right the first time? :c9:
One slight variation in your recommendations. Best to use a poly-cotton cloth (like old t-shirt) than paper towel. The paper towel can too easily leave its fibres on the surface of the pasted balsa.

The OP still hasn't quite nailed down a proper strop and shaving techniques and we have him moving on to honing and pasted strops.
I get what you are saying, but in my experience most beginner issues start with a blade that is not sharp enough. It's not easy to find a reliable honing service, so the sooner you learn to do it yourself, the sooner you will start to enjoy your shaves. I would go further and say that counter-intuitively, the less experience, the sharper the blade has to be for a comfortable shave.

The sharpest edge achievable in our community comes from pasted balsa. I know many would argue about the comfort, but few will dispute that fact.

I started with half DE shavettes, tugging was never an issue, blood and irritation was. I did not enjoy my first SR shave, felt like it was ripping the whiskers out by the roots, because even after learning to shave, the edge was not nearly sharp enough.

Still waiting for the Aust to ship... Checking the inbox compulsively, but no word as yet :p

I've been making the strops and will paste them over the Easter break. I'm hoping to get some straight shaves in then, when I am not pressed for time.

You can always try with a Feather Artist with a new Feather blade....and in my case, it still feels "different".
Check on YouTube "brownmanshaves" and his quest for a good shaving straight razor....

Top Bottom