What's new

First shave with a HONED straight...

Much more comfortable! The first go at it yesterday was enjoyable, but not particularly close. 1 nick, 1 almost cut (just a hairline showed up later on... no blood).

Today was round 2, was much more confident in my movements, no shaking and stuttering. Nice smooth strokes, better angle, etc... and actually got a shave close enough to pass as an everyday shave. I can't wait to see how much better it can get.

I am loving the control that I feel over the DE. With the DE I always seem to be at the mercy of the blade. Is it a good one for me (still working through a big sampler pack), is it a good blade and not an dud?

Can change the angle at which I'm cutting and still be cutting...

Thanks a lot to Rambus007 for the hone job on my first straight. It's also nice to know that my stropping is not making the edge worse, and keeping it at least as good as it started.

Very excited to keep at this, and hope I can keep SRAD, HAD, CAD, JNATAD, etc... in check. (who am I kidding... no I don't)

Of my face? No one needs to see that. I could try putting together a SOTD pic... Not very good at those. heh

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Of my face? No one needs to see that. I could try putting together a SOTD pic... Not very good at those. heh

You can put your face if you want. I honestly was more interested in the gear you used... :001_rolle

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It's also nice to know that my stropping is not making the edge worse, and keeping it at least as good as it started.

At the beginning, this is perhaps the most important skill to master.

It's a kick, isn't it?

I'll take a SOTD pic tomorrow. :D

You can see the hardware I was using in my thread in the resto forum. It's the Emil Jansen Solingen razor I restored.

Well this morning was shave #3. I used the old soap I got at the same time as my straight. I stuck the point into my cheek once, got a nice little nick for it. But everyone does that right? haha...

But I did manage to get as close a shave as my "every day" DE shaving in about the same amount of time. Can't wait until I'm several months into this now.

proxy.php

I need to figure out the lighting in there or take my SOTD pic somewhere else. Oh and if anyone knows anything about this soap... I couldn't find anything online at all.

Top Bottom