What's new

First shave with a GEM + CVS blades?

I bought a GEM SE with a lot of razors on eBay
I am going to shave with it later today or tommorow

Any guidance on using these?
Long strokes, short strokes? Can I go XTG or ATG?

Take your time. Negative pressure. As with DEs, some SEs are more aggressive than others. Any SE is more efficient than most DEs. Do you know which SE you have? Picture?

Slow and steady wins the race!! Watch the pressure once you get to the neck, can be tricky sometimes, lots of good slick lather helps!! And the first few shaves, try and have the room quiet, so you can experience the incredible audible aspect of SE shaving!!!

That one you pictured is the GEM Micromatic Open Comb, nice SE, can tend to be a little more aggressive than others but if you follow the advice above then you'll be fine.

Yes, the Gem open comb micromatic (or OCMM) is one of the most aggressive, if not the most aggressive razors out there. I prefer a Valet AutoStrop as it gives me the same close shave but with less concern for blood loss. Search the Internet for MrGuy's micromatic shaving tips video.

Thanks for the advice everyone

I just had my first shave a few minutes ago, it was actually very smooth - but I bought a very agressive Muhle R101 last week, so everything seems tame by comparison :thumbup:

Just a few nicks on my low neck where the beard starts to run out- otherwise a very smooth one-pass shave!

Definitely most bang for your buck in terms of cost
I think It will put it in my weekly rotation

Yes, the Gem open comb micromatic (or OCMM) is one of the most aggressive, if not the most aggressive razors out there. I prefer a Valet AutoStrop as it gives me the same close shave but with less concern for blood loss. Search the Internet for MrGuy's micromatic shaving tips video.

Great grip techniques (except the one that GEM recommended to use!)
I will try those next time
Thanks

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Today was my first shave with the CVS carbon steel blades (I used to use the Walgreens stainless). The carbon blades are much superior, IMO. Keep that head flat on your face for at least the WTG pass, then you can play with angle.

Carbon definitely is sharper and can give a smoother shaving experience. Unfortunately for me and my hard water they are not worth the effort when they rust during the first shave. I'm envious of those that can use them regularly. They perform splendidly.

Top Bottom