What's new

First shave w/ Weck Sextoblade....OMG!

Greetings!

After reading the OMG part of the title...you might be wondering which way the shave went...good or bad?

I had read up on which Shavettes people preferred, and the opinions are all over the place, but it seemed that a huge amount of folks liked the Weck Sextoblade. Since I'm an old school kind of guy, I just had to go with one. Bought one with guard on fleabay for $5. Old and worn, but still very much usable.

I also watched a lot of tutorials on how to use it, and I must confess that it seemed a little intimidating. Lots of people talking about how "unforgiving" a shavette is and how bad they can cut you.

Well...I'm here to report that my first shave with a Weck went...AMAZING! Now I really know what a BBS shave is...holy! I've never had a face this smooth, shaved with it yesterday early evening and my face is still smooth...but just starting to get a little prickly...cant believe it. Went slow and controlled...not 1 cut...but a slight knick around my Adam's apple...and just a tad irritation on my chin...probably from over shaving due to poor technique...learning.

I think I've found my new "go-to" razor. Next time I'll try it without the guard. Anyways...here she is!

Dow

IMG_8709.JPG IMG_8710.JPG IMG_E8712.JPG

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Sextoblade! Don't get overconfident - it's very unforgiving without the guard. There will be blood, but it's so worth it. It's an amazing shaver with or without the guard. Rounding off the blade corners helps a whole lot when learning.

Join us on the "Weck Wednesdays" thread and post your shaves there.
Weck Wednesdays

Thanks Rudy!

I read you’re post earlier today about your first experience coincidentally. Maybe I will keep the guard on for a little while longer, till I’m completely comfortable with it. Good looking out!

Dow

I will introduce myself, soon and bought my first sr, I don’t want shavette. Can I shave both side on my face, with my right hand, or it’s necessary to try ambidextrous. I had check many video from shave nation, that guy is a magician!

I will introduce myself, soon and bought my first sr, I don’t want shavette. Can I shave both side on my face, with my right hand, or it’s necessary to try ambidextrous. I had check many video from shave nation, that guy is a magician!
However you are comfortable.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
You can shave with only one hand but would recommend learning to use both. You will likely be glad you did. It only takes a couple of weeks for the muscle memory to get it down. The whole process of shaving is pretty confusing in the beginning but somehow works itself out with simple repetition.

You can shave with only one hand but would recommend learning to use both. You will likely be glad you did. It only takes a couple of weeks for the muscle memory to get it down. The whole process of shaving is pretty confusing in the beginning but somehow works itself out with simple repetition.
When I start it, I will do on week-end, no morning rush, and I will take my time. I will try both hand it’s a great idea, thx for your helped.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
When I start it, I will do on week-end, no morning rush, and I will take my time. I will try both hand it’s a great idea, thx for your helped.
Very good idea. It will likely be a few weeks before it becomes your regular morning routine. Just keep at it and it will all work out. Just a matter of perseverance.

Consider using only your dominant hand for a bit until you've got things down then add in the other hand. After a few months, you may find the non-dominant hand cutting / nicking yourself less frequently simply b/c you won't be overly confident. ;)

I love my medical Weck shavette about a much as my Feather AC SS folder. If I had started with the Weck first...I might have never tried the Feather!

The Weck is a great shaver, probably the closest feel from a shavette to an actual SR that I’ve tried.

Awesome guys! glad to get these responses. To-day will be the 2nd shave...and I'm trying a Fromme blade that i bought at the local Sally's Beauty Supply. I'm still going to use the guard, and still just using my dominant right hand. I will also be using MWF shave soap instead of Arko. Stay tuned!

Dow

Well....OUTSTANDING results again, although a little different.

I changed 2 variables, so I’m not sure what made the difference, the soap, or the blade?

A very smooth shave with no cuts and no nicks this time, and less irritation afterwards. Maybe a little better technique helped that.

I’ll just have to play back and forth for awhile I guess with different blades and soaps.

Overall, very enjoyable experience...a success!

Dow

GeronimoWSB

Multilingual Beer
Well....OUTSTANDING results again, although a little different.

I changed 2 variables, so I’m not sure what made the difference, the soap, or the blade?

A very smooth shave with no cuts and no nicks this time, and less irritation afterwards. Maybe a little better technique helped that.

I’ll just have to play back and forth for awhile I guess with different blades and soaps.

Overall, very enjoyable experience...a success!

Dow
What is the proper way to have the guard on? I have a three weeks to try soon. Two hair shapers and a mint sextoblade. I am used to straights, might just not use it.

Top Bottom