What's new

first shave question

linty1

My wallet cries.
So picked up a Feather artist club ss, read and watched the wiki/tutorials... deep breath, lathered and just as I was about to shave... I realized that I cant see the head of the razor, my hand is between the head and me seeing it. I tried to tilt my head and also angle it down so that i could see... but it wasnt great... I got scared and de'ed the shave. How do you see where the head is going/angle etc? with your hand in the way?

Had the same problem for quite a while, when shaving on my off-side. I figured out the if I turned myself to face the mirror more squarely, i could see around my hand for 98% of the pass. The rest was just getting used to the razor. Stand in front of your mirror and practice turning your body as well as your head.

linty1

My wallet cries.
[MENTION=41037]eastomjac[/MENTION] - Yes, I can see my mirror, but my hand/fist blocks the visual path of the head of the shaver
[MENTION=64042]George[/MENTION] - ok, so jist twist and turn until jts easier to see... mm... this will take some work

I have a similar problem because I wear glasses with a strong prescription, so my peripheral vision is limited. I move my glasses slightly to the side I am shaving on so that I can look out the corner of my eye to see the sideburn area (so I am looking behind my hand, instead of in front. When I am wearing contacts I have no problem.

@eastomjac - Yes, I can see my mirror, but my hand/fist blocks the visual path of the head of the shaver
@George - ok, so jist twist and turn until jts easier to see... mm... this will take some work
OK I meant no harm just trying to figure out how to answer so you just keep moving until you get a clear view go slow and easy

[MENTION=41037]eastomjac[/MENTION] - Yes, I can see my mirror, but my hand/fist blocks the visual path of the head of the shaver
[MENTION=64042]George[/MENTION] - ok, so jist twist and turn until jts easier to see... mm... this will take some work
Yeah, it can be difficult to figure out the angles, but be persistent and youll get it

linty1

My wallet cries.
No, my apology if that came off snarky, I just had a little difficulty explaining it. I shall try that shave again in a few days.

OK I meant no harm just trying to figure out how to answer so you just keep moving until you get a clear view go slow and easy

You might take the blade out and practice a bit, but in the end we all wind up taking a bit of a "leap of faith" and just shave . . . .

So I had similar trouble, but more so due to poor eyesight in my right eye, so when I turned my head I had trouble seeing the left side of my face. I found the best solution was to go ambidextrous. I watched Anthony Esposito AKA The Stallion on YouTube. He puts up a couple of straight razor shaves per week and shaves ambi. I started using this technique and after some practice found it to be quite easy and natural.

Check him out... plus he's pretty non-PC and funny at times.

Shave On!

Top Bottom