What's new

First SE shave with Ever-Ready 1912

I picked up an Ever-Ready 1912 that was tarnished but in good working shape, along with a gold 46 Aristocrat for $16 at a local antique store a few days ago. I finally gave the 1912 a shot today, using the Gem stainless steel blades. The blade fit nicely and lined up perfectly. Took me a bit of work with the angle, since I've only ever used DE's but once I got it, it pretty much shaved my cheeks and sideburns DFS in one pass only.

It shaves very similar to what a shavette does, but severely more forgiving. Then again, I had the same issues with it as I did the shavette too. The chin and upper lip got quite a few little nicks and irritation, and I also noticed on the chin especially, the blade did seemed to jump and skip a whole lot, which made it very awkward and irritating. The cheeks on the other hand were no problem. Any suggestions on technique, blade choice, etc?

I've enjoyed using my Ever-Ready but don't have any specific advice for you yet. One of our SE experts should be along shortly with more help than I can give.

Use your free hand for skin stretching. SE shaving for many has a bit of a learning curve, but when mastered gives results that a DE can only dream of. Stick with it!

Make sure you've got the blade centered in the stops, then lift up the spine like 30-40 degrees then drop it. Then close your razor. When doing the areas around the mounth, doing some facial contortions to get the skin taut helps a lot. Open your mouth, curl your lips around your teeth. It's kinda like a straight or shavette like you said

Didn't know to lift and drop the blade after in the stops. Maybe it wasn't placed absolutely perfectly.

Second shave with the 1912 was a whole lot better. Not perfect, but better. The angle was the worst issue, and too much pressure was too. Still got one weeper and a few little nicks, but I think that's the closest I've ever shaved my chin. Extremely effective, but requires a very gentle touch.

Glad to hear you had a better second shave. I found with the 1912 once you find the right angle and use no pressure, I get the best shaves of any razor I use. Looking forward to hearing how your shaves progess with the 1912.

Just shaved my face and head with it today. I'm REALLY starting to like this razor, and SEs in general. Its very much like a straight with training wheels. I had a very smooth shave with little to no irritation...except for one really nasty cut on the back left of my head. Skin stretching required in certain spots!

To me, the 1912 SE is like a DE slant as far as efficiency goes. I remember the first time I ran my Ever-Ready down my cheek--it was nearly BBS, and much better than my Techs, SuperSpeeds, Merkur 23 or Schick Krona. I love the noisy feedback, and find the razor to be close shaving, but quite forgiving, especially on the ATG neck pass.

Yeah, I like my Gillettes, but this baby is a whole different animal. Blade exposure is good if you know what you are doing.

I used my gem junior for the first time in a long time yesterday and it gave an outstanding shave. Only gem/er I am not big on is the 24.

Skin stretching, facial contortions...well sure, with any gear.

I say this with some trepidation, having remarked on it before and knowing it's not the norm:

I find a very low angle like that recommended for the Micromatic, with head flat against the skin or nearly so, to work best with the 1912 type. This requires some pressure - not zero pressure. As if no pressure were a viable option with XTG and ATG!

The good news is that, with a low angle, changes in pressure are much less fraught than when applying a higher angle of attack. So I get little or no burn. But others find differently, and we can't see what we're doing exactly. So who knows? All I could recommend is experimenting freely.

Yeah, I've had very little issues with my 1912 since getting the angle very close. It's definitely one of my favorite razors, now.

Top Bottom