What's new

First SE shave plus some

So where to start....

I was PIF'd the Micromatic Clog Pruf from JCan88. At first look it seems this will be a great shaver and great weight for me. I waited until I had a good amount of stub to use this razor.

After placing the blade into the razor and having a very nice slick lather, I make my first down stroke from my right ear down to jaw line....HOLY GHOST!! this feels really aggressive (I am still new to the DE so still working on certain tech) So after a few seconds and think "ah crap hope I dont really screw up and have a murder scene in here" I take it VERY slow and work in short strokes.

After I was finished with my first pass (wtg) I re-lathered and went to work ATG. Should have stopped with the 1st pass...ATG looked like I gutted a deer in the sink. I nicked (or sliced) my entire under-chin and bled alot. Once this happened I controlled the bleeding and finished the job with my Merker 34c.

This was my first ever attempt with a SE razor. Since then I have used this bad boy 3 more times and I am not slicing my face open, although I am still nicking myself in a few spots with every shave. Yesterday was by far my best shave since moving into the safety razor world. I only had a few scrapes where it looked as if I had fought either a cat or rose bush (and lost) but no major bleeding or nicks.

Overall I really like the SE razor, and I am thankful for the PIF from JCan88!

Thank you JCan88 for this awesome Razor and I will continue to use it. Also where would be the best place to find blades for SE?

Glad to hear that your shaves with the Clog-Pruf are improving. The key is minimal pressure (the Clog-Pruf is a hefty razor - let the weight of the razor do the cutting) and a really shallow shaving angle. The cap of the razor should be against your face. Forget all that 30 degree angle stuff from DE shaving.

You can get blades from www.tedpella.com (#121-3), www.razorbladesandmore.com or www.walgreens.com. You can also get carbon steel blades at your local CVS drug store.

--Bob

Bobs just about summed it all up there Sir...I think the Clog Pruf was the finest Gem later edition SE ever made...:thumbup1:

Billy

You can also get good Gem blades from tryablade.com. I recommend skipping the CVS blades, as they are a waste of money IMO. I got the stainless and the ptfe blades and got a much closer smooth shave.

I have a Clog Pruf and love it. It is aggressive but I trend to like my razors that way. Sounds like you are doing well. Listen to these guys, they are the most knowledgeable gents around!

Top Bottom