What's new

First Puck of Tabac

Well, I used my Tabac today, with my new badger brush and new straight razor. The only thing I didn't like, and I probably just need to work on it, is that it didn't have much residual slickness. I lathered up my face, shaved, and then ran my wet hand over to clear off the remaining lather, and it was like I had rinsed completely off. I like it when it's still a little slick. As for my first straight razor shave, I only got myself once. Had too much of an angle and went kind of into the skin (on my neck). It wasn't bad. I didn't cut an artery, just left a faint red mark.

Well, I used my Tabac today, with my new badger brush and new straight razor. The only thing I didn't like, and I probably just need to work on it, is that it didn't have much residual slickness. I lathered up my face, shaved, and then ran my wet hand over to clear off the remaining lather, and it was like I had rinsed completely off. I like it when it's still a little slick. As for my first straight razor shave, I only got myself once. Had too much of an angle and went kind of into the skin (on my neck). It wasn't bad. I didn't cut an artery, just left a faint red mark.
Tabac lathers so easily, there is a temptation to build light, airy lathers that don't work as well as they should. Give yourself five or six tries using the soap to dial-in the lather.

Try face lathering, using plenty of soap and then adding lots of water gradually in stages to it while building the lather. Use a little more soap than you think you should. It's one of the slickest soaps.

I used Tabac tonight and *finally* got a good slick lather with residual slickness. Which was good because I used my Aust straight razor. So two accomplishments tonight: I finally got a good slick lather with Tabac, and finally got a shave with my Ralf Aust with no cuts.

I used my puck of tabac in about 3 months. I'm astounded by the longevity claims by some. That is until I read some use it once a week in winter only!! Any soap will last as long on that basis.
Just saying that used daily and decent loading on the brush this soap will not last year's!!!

+1 It is a winter soap, especially when you live in a hot area.

I love Tabac but I couldn't use it in Summer (current season here).
I will be keeping a few refills as extra, for just in case.

Scent is a treat for me, as I didn't find it anything resembling old ladies purse etc.
It is a bit powdery, but to my liking.

It's performance sets a very high benchmark and I don't see anything coming close to it at that price point.

+1! This^ Definitely not for the warm weather IMO!! :a29:

Top Bottom