What's new

First Paladin. I get it now.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I looked at that Lemon Drop Moe soooo many times. It took some serious restraint to not buy it. I love my Paladin El Dorado, so now I’m selectively stalking the website for the handle and color I want.
Follow them on facebook and twitter. There's no fixed schedule to their restocking, so they usually just announce that 10 or 30 or however many new brushes are being put on the site the next day. A few years ago they'd post 20 or 30 new brushes and they'd all be sold in 45 seconds. A feeding frenzy. There still seems to be an initial rush when new brushes are released but not everything sells in a minute or less. I've had great luck buying things from the 'backroom.' Saves me a few dollars.

Reactions: GNR

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Follow them on facebook and twitter. There's no fixed schedule to their restocking, so they usually just announce that 10 or 30 or however many new brushes are being put on the site the next day. A few years ago they'd post 20 or 30 new brushes and they'd all be sold in 45 seconds. A feeding frenzy. There still seems to be an initial rush when new brushes are released but not everything sells in a minute or less. I've had great luck buying things from the 'backroom.' Saves me a few dollars.

I really want an orange one in 28mm. Not entirely picky on the handle shape. They have an Oscar with that spec in the Back Room now. But if I’m gonna spend that much on a second, I may as well jump on the Pirate pre-order for a few motre dollars. Ugh... see how that rabbit hole deepens? I should run away screaming whilst I still have a chance.

Owen Bawn

Paladin's butterscotch is my fave butterscotch of them all. Almost a University of Texas burnt orange.

Owen Bawn

Yup, I am having a hard time resisting that Oscar.
I have had great luck in the back room. I've bought 3 of my 5 Paladins that way and I've never been able to find the alleged imperfection in any of them. That Oscar is a really elegant brush.

Feel me pushing you...???!!?!?!??!?

linty1

My wallet cries.
The 'Moe' is Paladin's interpretation of the Simpsons' Eagle brush handle style. Not an exact copy by any means, but the Eagle influence is there. I believe this is the one in lemon drop that sold earlier this week.

Ah yes, ok that makes sense, and that -is- is a great looking handle. I do prefer BradWorld's one, whatever that style is named.

Welcome to the Paladin Club.

Here are photos of mine.

1616360134406.png

A 24mm malachite PK-47 came up on the BST last year and I didn’t snag it. A regret.

One day I imagine I will buy a PK-47. That handle calls to me.

Congrats on the purchase. You got a good one.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Mine is a Polo handle. Modeled after the Simpsons brush called ... um... the Polo. ;)

It's a double-beaded Polo, which I'd guess was derived based on a Simpson handle, but yours was made using a CAD drawing that Frank and Lynn McInroy created and shared with us. Frank McInroy turned the Rooney Heritage handles as well as almost (but not quite) all of the M&F-labeled handles that appeared in the M&F Blonde Badger thread on B&B prior to 2016 (see Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/morris-forndran-blonde-badger.177098/). Unfortunately, many of those photos are no longer visible.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I just ordered this 26 mm Lotus from the Paladin website. I couldnt help myself. I am a huge fan of Orange and Black. And this brush is completely different on each side of the handle. It like having two brushes. And it has 1 mm more free loft than my Lemon Drop. It should be just about perfect! I cant wait to get it. Im not sure whats up with that weird reflection in Paladin's pics. I see it on a bunch of their photos.

That Lemon Drop was like a gateway drug. Ugh. :)

066TP-B02-H21-FRONT_1024x1024.jpg

066TP-B02-H21-BACK_1024x1024.jpg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Congratulations on the brush acquisition! Always good to find a tool that works better than your current setup.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I just ordered this 26 mm Lotus from the Paladin website. I couldnt help myself. I am a huge fan of Orange and Black. And this brush is completely different on each side of the handle. It like having two brushes. And it has 1 mm more free loft than my Lemon Drop. It should be just about perfect! I cant wait to get it. Im not sure whats up with that weird reflection in Paladin's pics. I see it on a bunch of their photos.

View attachment 1322392

View attachment 1322391
Looks awesome, Brad! The lights are probably just photography lighting thingies.

View attachment 1322392

View attachment 1322391

Wow ! That’s a gorgeous brush. Enjoy !
And I’m guessing that you’re not participating in our B&B September GRUME. LOL 😂

@BradWorld you selected a beautiful Paladin. I was looking at the Lotus you chose and was very tempted.
I can’t wait to see some pics when you receive it and to read your thoughts on the brush. Best of luck with your new brush and enjoy.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
What the heck is free loft?

To put it in plain language, the loft is the distance from the top edge of the handle to the end of the bristles. This does not take into account any glue bump in the knot that might be sticking up past the top edge of the handle. So the Free Loft is the length of the bristles from the top edge of the glue bump to the end of the bristles. Cheap synth and badger brushes, for example, sometimes have a huge glue bump that is quite noticeable if you push your finger into the middle of the knot. So if the documented loft is 55 mm, and the glue bump sticks up another 10 mm or more, you really only have a free loft of 45 mm or less. And loft has a huge impact on the floppy feeling of a brush, versus backbone, etc.

My Paladin Lemon Drop Polo has 48 mm of free loft. It has a lot of backbone for such a soft and luxurious badger, which I enjoy very much. This new Lotus has 49 mm of free loft... one more. So I am interested to see if there is a perceived difference.

I kinda thought that was what you guys were talking about, but it was the first time I had saw it labeled as such.

Top Bottom