What's new

First knot replacement

I just replaced my first shaving brush knot. I had found a used Super Badger Brush for $5 at a flea market in Western Iowa a couple of years ago. I sterilized it, but found that the knot was past its useful service life. I am a man of average mechanical ability, so I didn't want to get into redrilling the hole, etc. I don't own a vice or a drill press. I removed the original knot by tearing it out with a pair of Channel Lock Pliers. I don't own a Dremel Tool, but I purchased one of their bits for my cordless drill. I used it to get rid of the old glue. I then used rubbing alcohol to clean out the dust. The diameter of the hole was 25mm, but it was a tapered cone of about 23mm at the base. I ordered a 23 mm Nylon knot from a well known online vendor. It was around $9 plus shipping. I would have like to used animal hair, but alas they didn't have any in 23mm. I used Devcon Two Ton Epoxy that has a 30 minute curing time. It allowed me to center it by placing it on the mantle of my fireplace to "eye ball" it. I also used Q-Tips to clean up a little excess glue that oozed out. The last step will be to remove the printing with 600 grit sandpaper to make it unmarked. I should have done that first. This opens up a whole new hobby for me, as I frequently hunt razors at flea markets and antique shops. I'd love to come across a vintage bakelite brush handle...

The impulse can be tough to resist, so I don't. Always looking for another one. Looks like you got a great:thumbup1: job there.

Top Bottom