What's new

First Impression: Walgreen's 'Store brand' DE blades made in Germany

1613757142311.png

OK. I was in Walgreen's the other day and these somehow made it to the register with me despite being ridiculously over-priced at $5.79 for 10 blades. I bought these solely for the purpose of trying them out to answer a few questions I had:

1. Are these rebadged Personnas of some type like they used to be?
2. Are these rebadged Edgewell's of some other type?
3. Do they shave worth a darn?

Well, my first use only answered question 3 ... and the answer is they seem to shave worth a darn. I had an easy, drama-free shave on a three-day growth of facial hair. They seemed 'Personna-ish' in that I got a smooth comfortable and efficient shave, but I've gotten good shaves from other Edgewell products as well. So I doubt I'll ever answer the question to my satisfaction.

However, the specter in the room is the insane price. I can buy Wizamets for less than this price so these blades are probably a non-starter for me regardless of how well they shave. I can get Wilkinson Sword's local for almost half the price, and almost the same performance. If I want to just save money I can get the Dollar General rebadged Dorco's for even less, but then I am sacrificing a little performance.

Thoughts? Comments?

I purchased two packages of those along with a TTO Razor from CVS when I first stared thinking shaving with a DE was going to save me money. I think the blades are great. I still have most of the 20, but I got an insane number of shave from at least one of the blades. The blades are sharp and comfortable, but too expensive for my taste. If I knew who made them for CVS I would purchase a few hundred.

I purchased two packages of those along with a TTO Razor from CVS when I first stared thinking shaving with a DE was going to save me money. I think the blades are great. I still have most of the 20, but I got an insane number of shave from at least one of the blades. The blades are sharp and comfortable, but too expensive for my taste. If I knew who made them for CVS I would purchase a few hundred.
Check the package and see where they were made. If it says Israel or Germany they are most likely Personna made. If they say Korea or Vietnam they are most likely Dorcos. Both companies make blades for store brands.

Check the package and see where they were made. If it says Israel or Germany they are most likely Personna made. If they say Korea or Vietnam they are most likely Dorcos. Both companies make blades for store brands.

+1! The packaging looks most like Personna to me.

Had a second shave today with the Walgreen blade and it was another super easy shave. I don't need crazy sharp blades to get good results and I value smoothness quite a bit and these deliver.

I need to load up a Red IP or a Viking Sword and compare them to the Walgreen blade.

How can anyone guarantee 100% satisfaction? What happens if you are only 99% satisfied? Can you return the product?

So far I've gotten 6 smooth and easy shaves from these blades and that leads me to believe they are indeed Personnas. As a test I have purchased some branded Personnas made in Germany and will compare them at some point.

Top Bottom