What's new

First Hone!

I'm pretty proud of myself, I've been straight razor wet shaving for a few weeks and really am interested in honing and maintaining my razor. So I decided to buy a $15 Gold Dollar and see if I could get it shavable with a low cost setup.

So here were the hone supplies I ordered:

1) $16 dollar bevel setter - King 1000

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OT1ZOC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As you will read below I could have simply used by 30u lapping film to do it but I wanted to see what a stone would feel like. I figured for 16 bucks it was a cheap experiment.

I soaked the stone for a few hours in a bucket and then I lapped the stone on 240 wet dry 3M sand paper on top of my 6'' by 8'' Grizzly flat stone. Took very little work to get it totally flat.

2) $30 Grizzly Stone. Supposedly it is manufactured to a very tight tolerance to be perfectly flat. (Seemed flat to me!)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DD0KC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3) $25 Amazon lapping paper (8.5 x 11 3M). Had various grit sizes but I only used the 1200, 4500, 8000, and 14000 grit equivalents.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074DK653S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4) $11 jewelers loupe

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KIDM6S2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Step 1: Lapp King 1000

Step 2: I modified the geometry of the GD 208 to have a more rounded heal and toe. I mostly did this to reduce the shoulder to make it easier to hone. Yes I watched a bunch of youtube vids that explained how and why to do this.

I did this with a stone bit and my Dremel. It took me 15 to 30 minutes before I was satisfied with the modification.

Step 3: Set the bevel with the King 1000. It is a narrow stone so I used a combination of half strokes and x-strokes to get the full end to end of the blade set. I didn't use the burr method, instead I used my loupe and just keep checked the edge for evenness and consistency. I was going to use the Slash McCoy burr method but changed my mind at the last minutes and did just a traditional 40, 30, 20, 10, 5 half strokes and then x-strokes. I did this pyramid maybe 3x before I was convinced that the bevel was set up and down the edge.

Then I used light pressure x-strokes and finished up. I was able to shave my arm after this step.

Step 4: Got the Grizzly back out and wet it down and placed my first film on it. Started with the 1200 grit version and did a few pyramids with half strokes and followed by x-strokes. Kept checking with my loupe to see if I could see that the 1000 grit scratches were being replaced.

Step 5: Same as step 4 except with 4500 grit lapping film.

Step 6: Same as step 5 except with 8000 grit lapping film.

Step 7: Same as step 6 except with 14000 grit lapping film. On this step I was using only the weight of the blade, no pressure. Lots of x-strokes.

Step 8: Added the Slash McCoy paper method under the 14000 grit lapping film. Did about 50 laps.

Step 9: Used a balsa strop with .5 paste on it for 10 laps.

Step 10: To the leather strop! 100 or so laps.

Step 11: HHT Test. I was able to get HHT4 along the blade with the exception of very very close to the heel / shoulder part. I was a bit concerned but decided to go ahead with a shave.

So I did a head shave and a two pass face shave. YAAAAAAY! I was able to get a great shave, as good (or maybe better) than my Ralf Aust. I mean it was smooth and close!

Anyway I wanted to share my first honing with you guys and express my gratitude to everyone here for their wisdom that they have given over the years. I have ready through 100's of posts dating back to 2008!

I have included some pictures of my frugal honing setup. I can't wait to go further and get better!

2017-10-07 17.39.35.jpg
2017-10-07 17.41.18.jpg
2017-10-07 17.41.42.jpg

I'm pretty proud of myself, I've been straight razor wet shaving for a few weeks and really am interested in honing and maintaining my razor. So I decided to buy a $15 Gold Dollar and see if I could get it shavable with a low cost setup.

So here were the hone supplies I ordered:

1) $16 dollar bevel setter - King 1000

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OT1ZOC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As you will read below I could have simply used by 30u lapping film to do it but I wanted to see what a stone would feel like. I figured for 16 bucks it was a cheap experiment.

I soaked the stone for a few hours in a bucket and then I lapped the stone on 240 wet dry 3M sand paper on top of my 6'' by 8'' Grizzly flat stone. Took very little work to get it totally flat.

2) $30 Grizzly Stone. Supposedly it is manufactured to a very tight tolerance to be perfectly flat. (Seemed flat to me!)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DD0KC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3) $25 Amazon lapping paper (8.5 x 11 3M). Had various grit sizes but I only used the 1200, 4500, 8000, and 14000 grit equivalents.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074DK653S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4) $11 jewelers loupe

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KIDM6S2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Step 1: Lapp King 1000

Step 2: I modified the geometry of the GD 208 to have a more rounded heal and toe. I mostly did this to reduce the shoulder to make it easier to hone. Yes I watched a bunch of youtube vids that explained how and why to do this.

I did this with a stone bit and my Dremel. It took me 15 to 30 minutes before I was satisfied with the modification.

Step 3: Set the bevel with the King 1000. It is a narrow stone so I used a combination of half strokes and x-strokes to get the full end to end of the blade set. I didn't use the burr method, instead I used my loupe and just keep checked the edge for evenness and consistency. I was going to use the Slash McCoy burr method but changed my mind at the last minutes and did just a traditional 40, 30, 20, 10, 5 half strokes and then x-strokes. I did this pyramid maybe 3x before I was convinced that the bevel was set up and down the edge.

Then I used light pressure x-strokes and finished up. I was able to shave my arm after this step.

Step 4: Got the Grizzly back out and wet it down and placed my first film on it. Started with the 1200 grit version and did a few pyramids with half strokes and followed by x-strokes. Kept checking with my loupe to see if I could see that the 1000 grit scratches were being replaced.

Step 5: Same as step 4 except with 4500 grit lapping film.

Step 6: Same as step 5 except with 8000 grit lapping film.

Step 7: Same as step 6 except with 14000 grit lapping film. On this step I was using only the weight of the blade, no pressure. Lots of x-strokes.

Step 8: Added the Slash McCoy paper method under the 14000 grit lapping film. Did about 50 laps.

Step 9: Used a balsa strop with .5 paste on it for 10 laps.

Step 10: To the leather strop! 100 or so laps.

Step 11: HHT Test. I was able to get HHT4 along the blade with the exception of very very close to the heel / shoulder part. I was a bit concerned but decided to go ahead with a shave.

So I did a head shave and a two pass face shave. YAAAAAAY! I was able to get a great shave, as good (or maybe better) than my Ralf Aust. I mean it was smooth and close!

Anyway I wanted to share my first honing with you guys and express my gratitude to everyone here for their wisdom that they have given over the years. I have ready through 100's of posts dating back to 2008!

I have included some pictures of my frugal honing setup. I can't wait to go further and get better!

View attachment 827192 View attachment 827193 View attachment 827194
You are off to a perfect start!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Good going, for your first time at bat. It only gets better.

Just a suggestion. Get a piece of 3/4" thick acrylic,3" wide, 12" long, for a lapping plate, and a couple more for balsa stabilizers. The balsa will warp. A bigger honing surface is beneficial, in general, and easier to use. You could also get a 4" x 12" polished marble "bullnose" edge tile from home depot, for the film, or cut a heavy piece of glass. Consider adding another balsa strop to your kit, 3"x12", properly lapped, treated with .1u diamond paste or .1u CBN. It's a whole nother degree of sharpness, and a bit kinder to the face than .5u. Gluing the balsa to a stabilizing plate before lapping will help to ensure a nice flat surface, which will improve your edge quality. Be careful not to apply too much abrasive to balsa. If you think you got enough, you probably have 10x too much. You don't want particles rolling around on top of the balsa. You want them all deeply embedded into it. Okay, so that was more than one suggestion. Sue me already.

I get acrylic on the bay. There is a guy who specializes in it, and will custom cut your plates for you. 1/2" will work but 3/4" is better and keeps your fingertips below the path of the razor when honing or stropping in hand.

Good info Slash!

I was thinking of getting an acrylic piece cut for the film because the Grizzly is just so heavy it is hard to hold in one hand while honing. I think it is a great idea to also get one cut for a lapping plate.

I bought a balsa workbench for my first balsa strop but plan on making my own next. I appreciate your ideas concerning that.

I can't wait to get to the next level of honing!

Hey, hey, congratulations on producing a great edge! Honing is normally the next big hurtle after actually learning to shave with a straight razor. I am glad to see you did your homework by reading threads and watching youtube videos. Also props on getting a good starter setup going, so many folks are in a rush to get started they forget a component, like a loupe or something. I am glad you detailed your process in your post too, it may help others getting started in the future. Well, I hope you can enjoy many happy shaves with the edges you produce!

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Heck yeah! It feels good to get it right. When I first started I just had a Norton 4k/8K and some CrOx on Balsa. It was a great way to start because I was able to get good edges easily. Then I decided to branch out and try some other things and that’s when the moments of “darn, I really didn’t know what I was doing after all” came around! Have fun with it. Do you plan to stick with just this method or do you plan to try other honing methods as well? One thing I have found to be a game changer for my skin is a good Flax linen strop. I know that Slash has preached the values of straight leather but I find that 10 laps on Flax Linen gives me a more comfortable edge than just leather even if I do 200 laps on my leather strop. But that’s just a tip for sensitive skin types like my own and may not be necessary for many.

Congrats on your success! There is a lot of gratification shaving off an edge produced by your own hand, especially a great one! We are all (at least most of the guys here) on that quest for the perfect laser sharp yet butter smooth edge. Tho as close as we may get, the dirty little secret is there is no perfect edge. Sure fun trying tho!

Top Bottom