What's new

First Hone Advice

Hey everyone I'm looking to purchase my first hone setup. I feel that my Dovo carbon steel straight is getting too dull to shave with as its failing the HHT miserably. I strop before and after each shave with a nylon/leather strop but as far as edge maintenance that's all I have.

I've been looking at the different types of hones and have mostly decided on synthetic for the time being. My choices would be either Naniwa or Norton waterstones but I'm not sure what grits I will need. I don't know if I need to touch up the razor on a 12k surface or bevel set at 1k and work my way up. I also don't know if I can go from 12k to strop and be shave ready or if I need something in between the stone and strop such as CrOx.

Would a 220/1k, 4k/8k, 12k setup be enough for most of my honing needs? I was looking at Norton Waterstones for the first two combination stones and a Naniwa 12k for finishing. Is it okay to mix and match stones or would it be easier for a newb to stay with one brand or type of stone? Does this sound like something a newbie can handle? I'll make sure I also pickup a lapping stone to keep the stones flat.

I've thought of using lapping films but would rather try with stones first. I feel like it will be harder for me to destroy a stone than lapping film in case my technique is off.

Feedback is welcome and if you need anymore information ask and Ill update as they come in.

Thanks,
Spencer

Would a 220/1k, 4k/8k, 12k setup be enough for most of my honing needs?

That's exactly what I started out with. You probably won't use the 220 at all unless you're dealing with a chipped edge or something, so you might want to look into getting just a 1k (for setting bevels; I started with a Naniwa 1k). The Norton 4/8 is a great stone to learn on IMO as it's easy to obtain a good edge. Then, combined with the Naniwa 12k as a finisher, you should be able to get a nice sharp smooth edge (with a little practice).

Orrrr, you could go natural & just get a coticule!! :001_cool:

I just got a Naniwa 3/8k last week and i've been really happy with it. I'm surely going to add a 12k at some point in the near future, and a 1k as well, but just to start it can do the job quite fine. It depends on what you're aiming to hone...if you get some wrecks from ebay or if you just have some refreshing to do on a few blades...

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I really think a start off with films would be the best, only because by the time you become proficient with them you might want to go the natural hone route, or might find films are all you need. I purchased a full set of Naniwa's that have sat unloved for a couple of years now, only to be broken out when a really difficult hone arises and I need the consistency of a synthetic to trouble shoot the problem.

For the cost of a full synthetic progression I believe you can also purchase almost any basic natural progression as well. A big YMMV of course.

Top Bottom