What's new

First handle turning

Afternoon all,

I’ve mentioned a few times in the shave bowl thread that I was planning to turn some shaving brush handles and I made my first attempt today.

F1F12733-C10B-4DC1-A8A4-E14F74B79780.jpeg

I’m happy with it, the photo’s showing up a few imperfections that I couldn’t see before, and I should be able to finish it tomorrow.

Looks good, Gordon. What type of wood is it?
If I was to have a guess I would say Merbau, I’ll ask my father tomorrow. Many, many years ago he used to make bagpipe practice chanters and it came from a store of turned butts that he still had in his workshop. Most of the butts are Red Gum which are too scary to go near at the moment. The holy grail will be if there’s any Huon Pine left from a batch that he purchased in the 80’s.

Doesn't look like Jarra or Karri, or Iron Bark. If it is Australian I'm interested to know how you plan to seal it.

Huon would be very nice indeed!

Doesn't look like Jarra or Karri, or Iron Bark. If it is Australian I'm interested to know how you plan to seal it.

Huon would be very nice indeed!
I don’t recall my father having Jarra or Karri, not so sure about Iron Bark and the grain doesn’t look like a gum. I know that he had some blackwood but it’s too light for that.

I’m still looking at sealing options because I didn’t expect to seal the first one. I think that the grain however will make me want to seal it.

Finally managed to get a chance to give it a polish to see how it looks. I’ve used a food safe Beeswax polish which can be used on chopping boards etc. I hadn’t glued the knot back into my EJ Super Badger so I put it into this handle to see how it looks.

CCE90D40-0364-40BA-B44C-21157876E371.jpeg

I wasn’t able to identify the timber. It’s a long time since my father did any wood turning and he doesn’t remember it.

Simple finishes are my favourites, great work.

It looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, I’m quite happy with first attempt. I’ve ordered some synthetic knots which should be better for wooden handles because they dry so quickly. I also like the Beeswax finish but am unsure how water resistant it is. It’s nice to use though, it smells like orange oil and doesn’t give me a headache.

I have some citrus waxes which are quite nice on the nose, trouble is you'll have to refresh it regularly with all the soap exposure. It will certainly make water bead, but I wouldn't count on holding up to a hot water soak. The pores will release gas under the heat, they will also soak the water and soap in when it cools. I suggest no soaking. :)

I have some citrus waxes which are quite nice on the nose, trouble is you'll have to refresh it regularly with all the soap exposure. It will certainly make water bead, but I wouldn't count on holding up to a hot water soak. The pores will release gas under the heat, they will also soak the water and soap in when it cools. I suggest no soaking. :)
No soaking is another good reason for using synthetic knots.

At some point I’m going to try super glue as a sealer, apart from the smell it’s also time consuming because you need to build up coats with sanding in between.

I love the idea of stabilising timber with a vacuum style system. Suck the gas out, draw the resin in, bake. I just don't see myself doing it often enough the warrant the expense.

But, if I started making brushes

I love the idea of stabilising timber with a vacuum style system. Suck the gas out, draw the resin in, bake. I just don't see myself doing it often enough the warrant the expense.

But, if I started making brushes
Nice idea but out of reach as I'll have to upgrade the chuck on one of my fathers lathes and that's as much as I can budget at the moment.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Looks really good, how long did it take you from start to finish and what epoxy do you recommend to glue the knot in?
Thanks Andrew.

Looks really good, how long did it take you from start to finish and what epoxy do you recommend to glue the knot in?
Thanks Andrew.
I can't remember how long I took with this one Andrew. I'm using my father's old lathe and I had two trips out there to finish it.

There's generally two methods for setting a knot. Two part epoxy for a permanent fix or silicon if you think that you may want to take the knot out again. Having said all that I'm still learning.

Top Bottom