What's new

first gem shave

I feel as though I was a little apprehensive to shave at my normal pace with the GEM. For myself the handle is too small but as mentioned before it can be modified. It was a great shave very smooth to the touch I wouldn't recommend it blade loading wise for someone that's one-handed like myself I'm sure there's ways around it. Overall it's a decent razor great feedback sound from the blade I had a little trouble in the nose area and mustache it definitely won't be my daily driver but it was a fun experience and I will shave with it again just not regularly. Are there any gems with bigger handles?

What Gem to you own? The baton handle has a nice girth to it.
20230101_094213.jpg

This is a Treet, but such handles can be found on Gem and Star branded razors as well. The junior type head flips and stays open easily, so loading is a snap.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Are there any gems with bigger handles?
I have some Micromatics and the handle length are around 3" and they are very nice to use also. I use my ASR razors about 2 out 7 days a week and really are one of the best razors made once you dial them in. When I first started using them it was like 5 out of 7 days a week, I like other SE razors also like Schick injectors & Yaqi razors. The date on the tags where the only information I could find at the time and that has greatly improved thanks to lots of folks contributing to a date chart that ASR manufacture different razor variants, big thanks to @mata_66 for his contributions on that project.
(Ball park chart on aggression and efficentcy when I first started using them years ago.)
Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

I have some Micromatics and the handle length are around 3" and they are very nice to use also. I use my ASR razors about 2 out 7 days a week and really are one of the best razors made once you dial them in. When I first started using them it was like 5 out of 7 days a week, I like other SE razors also like Schick injectors & Yaqi razors. The date on the tags where the only information I could find at the time and that has greatly improved thanks to lots of folks contributing to a date chart that ASR manufacture different razor variants, big thanks to @mata_66 for his contributions on that project.
(Ball park chart on aggression and efficentcy when I first started using them years ago.)
View attachment 1588871
Have some great shaves!
those are all nice I need a few of them at a decent price

Ron R

those are all nice I need a few of them at a decent price
If you live in the USA there are lot of them and I suggest just your visit your local antique store. Gem made millions of ASR razors over their life time. Remnants of ASR are still around like Personna and Treet but in different hands of business folks.
The big auction house on line usually has around 1,000 of them for sale in various variants & conditions, make sure the blade stops are in good shape. With a little clean up they are ready to shave!

Ron R

@GAW9576 makes adapters which allow most standard DE handles to attach to your razor head.
If the Gem has a 10/32 machine screw thread you can adapt easily by just using a 5mm diameter X .8mm pitch brass screw works well also.(bought some brass machine screws 1 1/2 inch long(40mm) cut to length as needed, easier to be long to use vise or vise grips to grip on head instead of threads when cutting to length.)
When a damaged blade stop on one of my Micromatic razors that was bought in a razor lot sale, I converted the handle it so I could use DE and some 1912 models to fit it. Most DE handles are 5mm X .8mm threads so the Micromatic handle was drilled and tapped for this metric thread. Not sure if Greg still makes the adaptors, his adaptors will fit even the older Gem heads that had a odd thread they used which would be better IMO.
Micromatic handle salvage with adaptor..jpg
Micromatic handle salvage.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Love me a Gem! Thanks for that chart above, Ron. I always wanted to try a bullet tip but for some reson they're always fetching top $$. I kind of thought they'd be in the middle of the road there. Definitely agree the OC MM is an agressive beast to be respected.

I feel as though I was a little apprehensive to shave at my normal pace with the GEM. For myself the handle is too small but as mentioned before it can be modified. It was a great shave very smooth to the touch I wouldn't recommend it blade loading wise for someone that's one-handed like myself I'm sure there's ways around it. Overall it's a decent razor great feedback sound from the blade I had a little trouble in the nose area and mustache it definitely won't be my daily driver but it was a fun experience and I will shave with it again just not regularly. Are there any gems with bigger handles?
What model Gem do you have?

Thread derailment. 2nd gem shave last night. It went much better than the first.

@Ron R do you have a page that just lists all of your charts? If not, can you make one page Just for your charts? I find them very handy.

Ron R

Thread derailment. 2nd gem shave last night. It went much better than the first.

@Ron R do you have a page that just lists all of your charts? If not, can you make one page Just for your charts? I find them very handy.
Thanks for the kind words about the charts. The only reason I made them up was for newbies and others, sometimes I explain things not very clearly so a chart just helps assist me to explain my writing better.
Might have to be another project down the road.
Here are a few threads that have lots of charts that give a way of me explaining and learning.
These are most of my photo charting but there are a few others around if needed.

Top Bottom