What's new

First Fountain Pen? Lamay Safari

Ok, with the couple posts that have popped up lately re: fountain pens. I would love to try a fountain pen. Last time I used one I was in high school or college. It seems like a nice fountain pen to start with is a Lamay Safari or Al-Star... From what I see they are basically the same pen, the alstar looks to made of aluminum. Max I can spend is about $30 or the wife will shoot me. :eek:

Any other differences or things I should consider?

As far as inks I like the idea of the converter. Any suggestions on nib size or ink brand?

Would this pen write decent on a legal pad? (Thats what I normally write on during the day.)

Last edited:
Ok, with the couple posts that have popped up lately re: fountain pens. I would love to try a fountain pen. Last time I used one I was in high school or college. It seems like a nice fountain pen to start with is a Lamay Safari or Al-Star...

From what I see they are basically the same pen, the alstar looks to made of aluminum. Any other differences or things I should consider?

As far as inks I like the idea of the converter. Any suggestions on nib size or ink brand?

Would this pen write decent on a legal pad? Thats what I normally write on during the day.

Max I can spend is about $30 or the wife will shoot me. :eek:
You are right al-star=metal, Safari = plastic.
Same nib on both pens. I think the plastic safari pens hold up better looking than the al-stars which tend to scratch from what I have heard.

If you want a waterproof ink, go with noodlers bulletproof, if you don't care about that, all the big name inks will work fine for you. J Herbin, Pelikan, Pilot, Waterman, Diamine, Parker, Skrip, Mont Blanc, Private Reserve, Lamy. ect..................

The Lamy nibs run a bit wide, so a Lamy Fine will write more like a Medium when compared to most other brands of pens.
Depending on the legal pad, some tend to feather a bit, so a finer nib would do better, so I would recommend a Extra Fine or a fine

when you are ready to buy,check with Pam at
http://onebeagle.net/oscarbraun/
You can't beat Pam's prices, plus she is very nice.
She also carries some inks (also at good prices) but only sells them with pens so call and ask what she has in stock.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply!

One last question, can the nib be changed out, or am I stuck with a fine if I buy a fine?

Never cared for Lamy's. Have owned a bunch of them. Better writers out there for alot less. Dollar from Swisher, Reforms both piston fillers for around 10.00 and IMHO write better

Top Bottom