What's new

First Blade Restore- Dunning's Best

This is my very first blade restore. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures of the razor before it was taken apart and restored. It was, however, rather rusted. Around the name of the maker I could not remove nearly as much of the pitting as I wanted to due to the shallow stampings.

I used sandpaper for the entire thing. Starting at 180, I worked all the way up to 2000. Then Mothers Mag and Al polish finished it off.

On the blade there was quite a bit of pitting after the rust came off. I worked a long time on it, but was scared to go any further than what I had already done. This is going to be a used razor though, not one that just sits in a display case.

Next on the agenda are the scales. Those will be done next week. I really like the look of the lined wedges, though. Where does one get the metal for the lining?

Legion

Staff member
That looks good. I really don't think you need to get rid of all the pitting on an old blade. It's what gives it the character and history. Nice job. What are your plans for the scales?

I have made some scales out of purpleheart and are finishing them with linseed oil at the moment. Next on my list is to pin it up and have it honed

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

That's very nice work!!

Top Bottom