What's new

First Barbershop shave.

Went to the Colman Building Barbershop today for a shave and a haircut, and thought I'd post my experience.

The proprietor is currently the only barber in what was originally a three-chair shop. The shop has been down to 2 chairs for a great many years now. The current proprietor bought the shop in 2007.

I gleaned a few details as to why they aren't allowed to use standard straight razors or brushes anymore during conversation with Robbie. It all comes back to possible contamination and fluids.

The brush likely stays moist between customers, and therefore cannot be re-used. Instead, Robbie has an old fashioned hot lather machine. And let me tell you, that lather was hot.

As to the blade, he uses a disposable blade straight razor. Apparently the concern with old straights is the use of the strop. The strop can not be sterilized, and really does need to be used, and thus is outside the rules. There was even mention that the brushes they use to brush the hair off you neck might be a no-no pretty soon.

And now on to the shave...
The shave was as close as I can get without starting to irritate the skin myself, but with no irritation. Yes, I can get a closer shave, but I can't get a shave that close and that comfortable at the same time. And his pricing is extremely fair, and includes a splash of one of several aftershaves. He has several Pinauds, Old Spice Fresh, and a few others. I went with Pinaud Classic Vanilla, which he says smells the most like the original Old Spice.

A shave is normally $15, but as I have a goatee and he didn't have to shave the chin, he only charged me $10. His haircuts range from $20-$30 depending on complexity. Mine was $23.

He also carries a couple flavors of Col. Conks soap.

If anyone is in Seattle and needs a shave, I can honestly recommend the Colman Building Barbershop.

Remembered another piece of info last night at bedtime. He told about learning to use a straight, and what the instructor told them...

The instructor said "after 2 days of not popping any balloons, you can try it on a real face. Until then, practice practice practice!" and left them all to practice on balloons for 2 weeks. Imagine, shaving balloons for 2 weeks, 8 hours a day, with a straight...

I gleaned a few details as to why they aren't allowed to use standard straight razors or brushes anymore during conversation with Robbie. It all comes back to possible contamination and fluids.
That's a shame. I would think that everything could be sterilized enough between shaves that there wouldn't be an issue, but what do I know.

A classic barber shave is one of the great male pleasures in life. I've only had a couple of them, but they were memorable. And they were done with real straight razors, strops and brushes...

I'll have to check it out for my next haircut...I just got trimmed by Gino over on 7th Ave, though opted against the straight shave due to time constraints.

Thanks for sharing and talk soon...

Chadd

Top Bottom