What's new

First attempt with a straight today

Well, today I attempted my first straight razor shave. I didn't get too far.

I started under the side burn on my right cheek. Laid the blade flat (as tutorials advise when you're looking for the proper angle) for my first short 1" stroke, just to experience how it feels when no hairs get cut. Increased the angle a bit for the 2nd stroke, and apparently increased it a bit too much - a little razor burn. Reduced the angle and moved a little more toward the front of the face for the next short stroke; this was better. Moved a little to the front, another short stroke, again a little too aggressive an angle, but not too bad. Move to the front of the cheek, short stroke, and ... OUCH!

Got myself a 1" vertical - yes, vertical - cut in the middle of the cheek. Not deep, but clean. Alum didn't stop the bleeding, styptic didn't stop the bleeding. Rinse the face, apply a tissue compress for a few minutes, followed by a band-aid, and abandon the shave. Maybe later, I'll try again. Maybe.

... OUCH!

Got myself a 1" vertical - yes, vertical - cut in the middle of the cheek.

Yow! Welcome! :laugh: I don't think a 1" cut is the norm, but you're definately not unique either. Sounds like you were doing the right things, but perhaps just a moment of distraction is all it takes...
Start slow and work your way up at your own speed. Try it once more just for kicks in a small area. Keep after it and I'm sure you will get it just fine.

I am only about 5-10 str8 shaves ahead of you and have had a few nicks and burns along the way. I practiced with an old very dull-non-cutting razor with lather for a few weeks prior just to work out grips, hand positions, and face stretching. I believe it helps as there is a lot to think about initially, including angles. Thankfully, due to DE shaving face prep and lathering are not in the learning curve. Speaking of learning curves, it is definitely a curve!

Don't do that again!

I got a stupid cut recently. I had just honed up an old blade, placed the razor on the most round part of my cheek, edge pointed almost straight to the skin. A little light pressure, and I had a nice deep cut right on my cheek. I was not trying to move the razor anywhere, just pressed it in. In it went.

What was I thinking?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Cuts happen, make sure you have a flatter blade angle!

Cuts happen, make sure you have a flatter blade angle!
Thanks. But, a vertical cut? This isn't a horizontal cut, because there was no horizontal movement to the blade. The only thing I can think of is that the tip cut me on the down-stroke, so I don't think blade angle was the issue.

Unless you're referring to tangential blade angle (I don't know how else to describe it). Things curve around as you approach the front of the face, and perhaps I didn't bring the blade around enough and shaved, not with the middle of the blade, but the tip. Live and learn. :001_smile

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks. But, a vertical cut? This isn't a horizontal cut, because there was no horizontal movement to the blade. The only thing I can think of is that the tip cut me on the down-stroke, so I don't think blade angle was the issue.

Unless you're referring to tangential blade angle (I don't know how else to describe it). Things curve around as you approach the front of the face, and perhaps I didn't bring the blade around enough and shaved, not with the middle of the blade, but the tip. Live and learn. :001_smile

Vertical can happen while you are going from N-S/S-N or E-W/E-W. My guess would be a N-S and there was some pressure on the tip causing a vertical cut.

Is it a square pointed razor, and the toe bit you?

Use the belly of the blade to do the lionshare of the shave, use the tip and heel for fine tuning the shave (hard to reach areas).
You can mute the point if you want by dragging the toe of the point across one of your hones if you have any.

Last edited:
My guess would be a N-S and there was some pressure on the tip
Yup, methinks that's the best explanation. I just never expected vertical cuts at all from N-S or S-N passes. I would expect horizontal cuts from too aggressive an angle or horizontal motion, but not vertical. Learn sumpin new everday. :001_smile

It's good to get the bloodletting out of the way at this early stage of your straight shaving career. Now you can properly focus on angle and technique.

Don't give up the ship Cap'n!!

Why don't you try doing a straight shave like this: For the first pass use your DE razor. This will take off the tough stuff and get rid of almost all the things that can cause nicks and cuts when you are a newbie. Now for your second pass use your straight, and go WTG. You'll find it very smooth going, and now you can concentrate on your angle, and get use to moving that open blade around your face. Nothing wrong with doing this, and it might just shorten that learning curve. Good luck. :thumbup1:

You can mute the point yourself. Use an emery board and lightly drag the tip of the point across it a time or two, you then will have muted the point.

I like square points. I found that stretching the skin helps keep that spike from finding places to catch and dig in.

Hey it happens to all of us and I will bet you were surprised at how effortless cutting yourself with a straight can be. I was trimming my lower lip the other day and for some reason I moved my lip slightly sideways which resulted in a half inch cut which was a nightmare to get to stop bleeding. The trick is to learn from what you did and move on and whatever you do, do not give up!

I would start with a round point or muted spike point to begin with. I definitely have had spikes bite me even after several months into straight shaving, but it is more due to lack of attentiveness when that happens.

I would start with a round point or muted spike point to begin with. I definitely have had spikes bite me even after several months into straight shaving, but it is more due to lack of attentiveness when that happens.

+1... try a round point, man... so much less worry.

Top Bottom