What's new

Finishing with the Thuringian

i prefer the narrower hones. you soon get use to them. also improves your x stroke and gets the whole edge much nicer.

I don't mind the narrow aspect at all... I actually think it is easier to maintain contact with the hone with the narrow stone. It is the short length that I have trouble with... I have to "cross" the blade on the hone very quickly to go from heel to point. I think I'm getting used to it though.

I'm pretty happy with mine... it's just really small. I have a bit of trouble crossing the x's very quickly because of the short length of the hone... I'm getting used to it though.

Same here. I've got a small Thuringian and I have the same problem. I'm used to larger sized stones (Shaptons) so it's a bit of a shock using the tiny Thuringian. I guess it's just practise until you get the right combo of down and across on the X stroke.

Same here. I've got a small Thuringian and I have the same problem. I'm used to larger sized stones (Shaptons) so it's a bit of a shock using the tiny Thuringian. I guess it's just practise until you get the right combo of down and across on the X stroke.
With a big blade it's more sideways then forward, but it doesn't matter in the end, the finish will be next to divine.

With a big blade it's more sideways then forward, but it doesn't matter in the end, the finish will be next to divine.

Indeed it is. I finished my Jos Mappin Lancet Edge on it the other day and it's got a wonderful edge on it. I even shaved with it two days in a row just to make sure I wasn't imagining it.

My little thuringian just showed up today too. Lapped and ready to go. Just need to finish rounding out the honing setup. Have a J-nat and thuringian for finishing. Will be picking up a 13K Sigma power next month from Stu so that may or may not be another finishing stone also. Heh, after I figure out what I like I guess it'll be time to dump a few things off in the B/S/T.

Glad we have this forum with all this knowledge and information...makes it a little easier for a guy to decide what to try.

i shaved of my thury last night . no problem at all . the shave was still smooth. i would say it may have felt sharper. this little stone is a joy to hone on. I've done another 40 laps on water. I'll post if there is any differance either way its a great stone.

Gary... on an unrelated note... have you done a self-shave video? I saw your video with Ralfy, and I found it useful to watch... but I was wondering if you have, or would be willing to do a self shave demonstration?

Gary... on an unrelated note... have you done a self-shave video? I saw your video with Ralfy, and I found it useful to watch... but I was wondering if you have, or would be willing to do a self shave demonstration?

ralfy has got the video gare. i'm waiting on him. As soon as he is ready i will be doing just that.

quik update. i think it has been 60 laps on water,on my thury. the shave this morning was very smooth indeed. How would i compare this to coticule? the coticule is a good work horse which carn't be beat. the thuringian 5x1 vintage that i own leaves as good a edge as i ever had of a well honed coticule edge. they are both great finishers. I could see how the thury may well help after coticule edge if your ever so slightly not there. it seems there both slow on water but great polishers. i'm not certain on this but i reckon the thuringian may be slighty more active on water. I'm keeping mine . I was going to sell it. I have had 3 eschers. This little thury is as good as escher and the same thing in my opinion, cost much less. get one why they are only aprox £50 GBP. There is one on ebay that ralfy has tested aand i no for a fact it leaves a cracking edge.(any one that is wanting one that is) i no you have one.

I'm going to now do 50 laps on my la grosse jaune coti. I will compare. Even though the edge is now perfect for me.

gary

ralfy has got the video gare. i'm waiting on him. As soon as he is ready i will be doing just that.

Ok, great... I'm looking forward to that... I think it will be helpful to me.

quik update. i think it has been 60 laps on water,on my thury. the shave this morning was very smooth indeed. How would i compare this to coticule? the coticule is a good work horse which carn't be beat. the thuringian 5x1 vintage that i own leaves as good a edge as i ever had of a well honed coticule edge. they are both great finishers. I could see how the thury may well help after coticule edge if your ever so slightly not there. it seems there both slow on water but great polishers. i'm not certain on this but i reckon the thuringian may be slighty more active on water. I'm keeping mine . I was going to sell it. I have had 3 eschers. This little thury is as good as escher and the same thing in my opinion, cost much less. get one why they are only aprox £50 GBP. There is one on ebay that ralfy has tested aand i no for a fact it leaves a cracking edge.(any one that is wanting one that is) i no you have one.

I haven't gone as far as 60 laps, but I think I will do another 30 on mine and see how it goes. I'm actually going to look for a slightly longer Thuri (maybe 7") and sell mine if I can find one.

Ok, great... I'm looking forward to that... I think it will be helpful to me.

I haven't gone as far as 60 laps, but I think I will do another 30 on mine and see how it goes. I'm actually going to look for a slightly longer Thuri (maybe 7") and sell mine if I can find one.

I don't think you will find one in that size> escher you will. stick with that size. for what you need is only 30 to 60 laps it does a great job. I no i could maintain my razors with that size alone. ralfy does have a bigger vintage thury he says it leaves a great edge . PM him he may sell you that one. Thats the only one i no f .

gary

ralfy does have a bigger vintage thury he says it leaves a great edge . PM him he may sell you that one. Thats the only one i no f .

Ok... thanks. I'm not sure how to get a hold of him... I don't think he posts here. If you talk to him and can mention I'm interested in finding one, I appreciate it.

Thanks! I sent him a note.

i just shaved of the 50 laps on coticule . All though there was not much in it. I'm going tbo and not bias as my favourite hone is the coticule. I actauly felt that the thury did feel a little nicer on this accasion. the shave was just as sharp. all in all i think its how the razor comes of the hone . Both very nice and i'm defanatley keeping my little thuringian.

Top Bottom