What's new

Finishing with the Thuringian

I used my Thuringian stone for the first time tonight, and it seemed to be pretty successful. I just had a couple of questions about the technique.

I am using the coticule from slurry to water, then going to the Thuringian. About how many laps should I be doing on the finishing stone?

Also, this stone is very short compared to the coticule. I assumed I should just be making a quicker "x" from heel to toe when I am honing. Is there anything I should know about honing technique for a narrow and short stone?

Thanks for the help.

i have a thringian. the small one you have. Just do normal x's nice and light. thats it.

use with water to finish. I'm not that experianced with the thury. i would say start at 10 laps. do this before each sahve untill your satisfied. the vintage thury i own. i have tryed light slurry to water . Water only. slurry only. this what i found. finishing on light slurry only, made my edge seem less sharp. water only made the edge far to crispy for me. slurry to water i was'nt that impressed. I have a escher and a thuringian. all though i have tryed both several times. I have even had a razor finished on escher by a member. I have found the coticule to be much smoother in the buttery smoothness. the thury and escher seemed crispy smooth. the one i had honed by a member was finished on escher slurry and before that the j nat. the edge was smooth and shaved nice of the escher. still not as nice as my best coticule edges. But realy not much in it. If you get the max out of your coticule the thury should not be needed. If you don't then may be the thury may help, as it may be slightly quiker on water , just slightly. i need to get the thury out and my escher and try some more. Your best bet is to just try and see what happens.

gary

Well... my first go was on the same razor I started out with on my coticule. It had a mediocre edge to start. I dulled it on glass and did dilucot on the coticule, and found it to be a very good shaver after that. Tonight I did 15 laps on the Thuringian and found the shave to be even better. I have trouble describing it because I have no experience honing with anything else, so I can't make comparisons, but I definitely found an improvement after finishing on it.

Well... my first go was on the same razor I started out with on my coticule. It had a mediocre edge to start. I dulled it on glass and did dilucot on the coticule, and found it to be a very good shaver after that. Tonight I did 15 laps on the Thuringian and found the shave to be even better. I have trouble describing it because I have no experience honing with anything else, so I can't make comparisons, but I definitely found an improvement after finishing on it.

thats exall;ant result. what i would do now is do 30 laps on coticule with water . Compare. then do 15 again on thury and compare. sounds like the thury easily ads a little more keeness. I have to say i reckon i did to many laps on my thury thats may be why it was to crispy. i'll have to try again, keep us posted on progress.

I used my Thuringian stone for the first time tonight, and it seemed to be pretty successful. I just had a couple of questions about the technique.

I am using the coticule from slurry to water, then going to the Thuringian. About how many laps should I be doing on the finishing stone?

Also, this stone is very short compared to the coticule. I assumed I should just be making a quicker "x" from heel to toe when I am honing. Is there anything I should know about honing technique for a narrow and short stone?

Thanks for the help.
number of laps will depend on the level of finish before that, also the razor itself and the slurry consistency if you use slurry.
It really comes down to experimentation. My advice finish on 10 or 12k before you go to the Thuri, then you are going to get the best results.

I do the Thuri either after a naniwa 10K or dilucoted coticule up to water only.
Seldom more then 20 laps on my 5x1 Thuri is necessary.

what i would do now is do 30 laps on coticule with water . Compare. then do 15 again on thury and compare. sounds like the thury easily ads a little more keeness.

Good idea, I will try that.

Thanks for the ongoing advice everyone, I appreciate it. My initial thought is that I like the edge this is giving me after my coticule, but I will continue to experiment with it.

Good idea, I will try that.

Thanks for the ongoing advice everyone, I appreciate it. My initial thought is that I like the edge this is giving me after my coticule, but I will continue to experiment with it.

i'll give it a go on mine . I will post how it goes

When I had one (5"x2.5"), I found that building up a thick slurry and doing many strokes, say on the order of a hundred, seemed to make the edge very smooth and forgiving but very sharp. Fewer strokes seemed to provide something "sharper" but more harsh.

When I had one (5"x2.5"), I found that building up a thick slurry and doing many strokes, say on the order of a hundred, seemed to make the edge very smooth and forgiving but very sharp. Fewer strokes seemed to provide something "sharper" but more harsh.

What did you use as a slurry builder on this stone?

I know Kees used to sell small Thuringian slurry stones. I don't know if he still is. In a pinch, you could use a little diamond card, like the DMT W7E.

thats exall;ant result. what i would do now is do 30 laps on coticule with water . Compare. then do 15 again on thury and compare. sounds like the thury easily ads a little more keeness. I have to say i reckon i did to many laps on my thury thats may be why it was to crispy. i'll have to try again, keep us posted on progress.

Gary, I have been doing some comparisons, and I find that I can get the best finish off of the Thuringian. I have to do about 30 laps on it to get the best results, but I'm finding it to be a smoother finish when I shave.

Now, we are talking about very fine differences, and I'm not saying, in any way that the coticule finish is not good. It is, and I could shave with that finish for the rest of my life and not have a complaint. When it comes down to fine tuning, though, I think the Thuringian finish is better.

I should add, also, that the coticule I'm using is La Petite Blanche, and cuts fast, apparently, so it may be a rock that is slightly geared to the "lower grit" work (for lack of a better way to put it). I'm going to try to pick up a slower finishing coti and do more comparisons as well.

Gary, I have been doing some comparisons, and I find that I can get the best finish off of the Thuringian. I have to do about 30 laps on it to get the best results, but I'm finding it to be a smoother finish when I shave.

Now, we are talking about very fine differences, and I'm not saying, in any way that the coticule finish is not good. It is, and I could shave with that finish for the rest of my life and not have a complaint. When it comes down to fine tuning, though, I think the Thuringian finish is better.

I should add, also, that the coticule I'm using is La Petite Blanche, and cuts fast, apparently, so it may be a rock that is slightly geared to the "lower grit" work (for lack of a better way to put it). I'm going to try to pick up a slower finishing coti and do more comparisons as well.

i took my coticule finished edge . I did 20 laps on water on my little thury. I can say the differance was minimal but i did like the shave of the thury. i 'm just sending my ti honed on coticule to ralfy. he is going to finish it on his 5x1 escher. he says its as smooth as his coticule edges. when i have posted that of to ralfy. i will shave with my silver wing of coti. then i will add 20 laps on thury . I'll let you no the differance. there all natural stones so they should leave a nice edge . Coticule edges have the same differance's . There very small ones. I've had this little thuringian for some months and never realy gave it much use. So its defanatley going to get some trial runs. Its nice to hone on. .

I'm pretty happy with mine... it's just really small. I have a bit of trouble crossing the x's very quickly because of the short length of the hone... I'm getting used to it though.

I'm pretty happy with mine... it's just really small. I have a bit of trouble crossing the x's very quickly because of the short length of the hone... I'm getting used to it though.

i prefer the narrower hones. you soon get use to them. also improves your x stroke and gets the whole edge much nicer.

gary

Top Bottom