What's new

Fine Wine - What Will You Spend?

How much are you willing to spend on a fine wine?

• I have no interest in wine.

• $50 is my limit

• $100 is my limit

• $200 is my limit

• $1000 is my limit

• I'll spend what I need to - for the right bottle

Results are only viewable after voting.
My most expensive wines always has been from France...

Billecart Salmon Brut Rosé, A.O.C. Champagne
Clos du Marquis 1996 (A.O.C. Saint Julien / Bordeaux)

In Spain it's easy to find good wines for less than 20$, as in Australia.

If you can buy wines from Spain, there are some reccomendations:

White wines:

Paco&Lola and Rosalia de Castro, Bodegas Rosalia de Castro
Odaiza de Vega Sindoa, Bodegas Nekeas, Nekeas Valley
Montecristo, Bodegas Camilo Castilla, (sweet and fruity muscat)

Red Wines

Roda, Bodegas Roda. Not the "Roda I" much more Expensive. Rioja
Embruix, bodegas Val-LLach
El Chaparral, Bodegas Vega Sindoa, Nekeas Valley, Navarre (just 8 miles from my house)
Malleolus, Bodegas Emilio Moro
Pago de los Capellanes crianza, Bodega Pago de los Capellanes
Juan Gil Monastrell, Bodegas Juan Gil

I live in wine country and there are a lot of small vineyards that makes great wines for very affordable price. If you're one of the fortunate who can buy whole sale rather than retail, your wine selection increases dramatically. I don't normally spend over $35 for red and $15 for white.

My wife and I recently went wine tasting in the Sonoma Valley. We came across a small winery called Porter Creek. It had some of the best Zins and Pinots that my wife and I ever had. The costs were around $25 a bottle.

I am cheap, I went with $50 is my limit. I have spent more a few times, but it has to be special occasion. I have found I like cheaper wines just as well. Maybe I am not a real wine lover, but I love most all I have tried regardless of price.

Why is this sticky? Old and dead. Might as well sticky the "What pocket knife do you carry?" and every other ancient thread out there....

How many of you are wine enthusiasts? I know half the joy of being a wine connoisseur is finding those hidden gems that are both outstanding, yet reasonably priced - but how "serious" do you get?

Hidden gem? How about some Peter Vella? If I'm gonna drink wine I'm not spending more than $13 for 6 and a half bottles.

I once paid around $80 for a 97 vaider. When I did cork it I thought it didn't deserve the hype it was getting and since I stick to the many great wines to choose from in the $12 - $25 range.

I have decided I will not buy anything super premium other than caymus. So $70 is my limit. There are plenty of great buys under $40 and that's where I typically stay.

I have decided I will not buy anything super premium other than caymus.

I won a bottle of Caymus at a charity auction a couple months back. I still have not opened it up yet, but from the looks of your post, it sounds like I will not be disappointed. : )

Especially considering I paid $10.00 for the raffle ticket.

My girlfriend took me to a nice restaurant for my birthday and she decided to get extravagant by buying a bottle of Caymus for over $100. I have to say drinking that was like nectar of the Gods. I can't remember the vintage (2005?) but she has bought some since that never measured up to the first one we shared. Anyway, every year she buys at least one more, about $70 as another poster noted, and she is cellaring most of those. According to my favorite wine reviewer nothing she has is fully mature.

Let me tell you about my paisano Carlo...

$image_824310_full.jpeg

Daily drinking I'm fairly conservative, $15-$25. I usually splurge on champagne or port, and I'll spend what I have to, around $300-$400.

Wow, To some of these replies! I look in the $10-15 range. I have spent $20 a couple times... had better $10 bottles.

Top Bottom