What's new

Finally, a good shave from my Gem Heavy Flat Top razor

A year and a half ago, I added a Gem G-Bar to my stable of single edge razors. I was never able to get a comfortable shave with it. There were slight indentations in the top cap caused by pressure against the bottom plate at these points shown here:

$G bar razor.jpg

NOTE: Photo is not of my razor

Since the blade was still held securely, I didn't think the slight imperfections in the cap would affect the shave. But as recent as last Single Edge SEptember, the Heavy Flat Top did not shave as well as my Push-Button or my Contour II.

Last week I ran across a G-Bar that was in immaculate condition. Would a razor without the flaws that my other G-Bar had shave better? I decided to get it. Shaved with it today and I got a smooth, irritation free shave!

I'm still not sure that those tiny dents in the cap could have made a difference, as that part of the razor is above the cutting edge of the blade, which was still flat. Perhaps the blade wasn't held as securely as I thought and there was some blade chatter that impacted the shave. I also thought that the spring that holds the top cap down seems tighter on the new razor. Guess I'll do a comparison shave between the two G-Bars.

The main point is, I've got a razor I can use, that gives greats shaves. Winner, winner.

The big take-away here is that you are able to get a decent shave from a Contour II.

:a20:

My first single edge, bought before I knew better, and I must have figured out how to get a decent shave out of this mild razor. It probably slowed down my progress on mastering the other Gems.

Small dents in the cap shouldn't effect anything, of course I'm saying this without seeing it. I've shaved with my Featherweight with the cap removed and got a great shave.

$100_2085.jpg

$100_2092.jpg

Top Bottom