What's new

Few more from Max showed up

These will make you drool for sure :)

First a vintage LeGrelot wedge (no Thiers-Issard involvement on these). The 5/8 has some remains of the etching 'recommended for tough beards' along with tiny surface pits that it required. Lovely horn scales

proxy.php

Then comes the what I believe is the 6/8 version of it, but it measures just under 7/8

proxy.php

And yes, they come from different size blanks, not just wear down the big one :)
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Then a Joseph Smith that got a cocobolo scales, which surprizingly I actually like. The spine is worked only on the front side, I don't think I've seen another like that, but it makes sense and I suppose they may be more vintage razors done this way
proxy.php

Another rare one - Wingfield&Rowbottam with ivory covered tang:
proxy.php

And finally a 1830-1837 W&B, superior concave//fine india steel
proxy.php

proxy.php

I think Max did a pretty good job, yes?

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Thanks for sharing these jewels with us... Exceptional work by maybe the finest straight razor restoration artist on the planet.

Max does some great work.

Compare your first Le Grelot to this 7/8ths Lotus, also rescaled by Max. Etch looks almost the same.

The number on the back of the Lotus blade is 357, same as Le Grelots. Seems Le Grelot did some work for others.

Last edited:
Superior concave is right.That is some fantastic work.I'm gonna half to get a paypal account and sell off all my extra razors so I can send off the chopper to Max to restore it.Thanks for the pics.

Max does some great work.

Compare your first Le Grelot to this 7/8ths Lotus, also rescaled by Max. Etch looks almost the same.

The number on the back of the Lotus blade is 357, same as Le Grelots. Seems Le Grelot did some work for others.

Actually, I've been convinced for some time that LeGrelot branded their razors in many different ways. I have another one like these (with the same 'recommended for though beards), but it only has a vendor stamp, and the address places it between 1911 and 1946 when the street had this particular name. Classicchaving has few brands that it attributes to LeGrelot and I can agree based on the razors I have from these brands.

Lovely. Especially the Wingfield & Rowbottam :001_tt1:. I've developed quite an appreciation for covered tangs.

One question...how on earth do you find time to shave with them all?

One question...how on earth do you find time to shave with them all?

LOL, it's hard being me :tongue_sm
Every now and then I get motivated to decrease the number, but it's a pain so I seem to quickly return to my procrastination state :lol:

Here's my current solution, these are actual SOTD (quick and bad photos, but they were meant as documentary, not art):

Last edited:
Top Bottom