What's new

Fernet and Coke

"Fernet and Coke" is an extremely popular drink, here in Argentina. I still prefer a nice glass of Malbec... vino tinto... but, I've grown to like Fernet, too.

Fernet Branca
is the best brand, but there are others. It's produced in Italy. I wouldn't drink it alone, but it is good with Coke... on the rocks, of course!

Fernet Branca is a popular brand of amaro produced in Milan, Italy. It is a bitter, aromatic spirit made from over 40 herbs and spices, including myrrh, rhubarb, chamomile, cardamom, aloe, and saffron, with a base of grape distilled spirits, and colored with caramel coloring.

Has anyone here tried it?

Ciao,
chop-chop

I haven't, but will definitely seek it out on my trip to Argentina in October. Not to threadjack, but what else other than Malbec and Fernet should I seek out?

I'm pretty sure I had some last time I was in Argentina. Hey, I have an uncle coming to visit the states (not from Argentina but from Uruguay) soon. Any shaving products I should put on the 'bring me' list? I'm going to have him look for my grandfather's shaving gear too.

Malbec and Syrah are two that are locally produced wines. Tannat, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and others are mainstays as well. Quite often, you'll find good blends. Malbec Merlot, Bonardy Merlot, Syrah Tannat, etc. Mendoza is a couple of hours South of San Juan. Wine and olive production/exportation are very big in the Cuyo region. Across the Andes Mountains (which are fairly close to San Juan), I've heard that there are some great Chilean wines.

I've not found anything in the way of shave products... yet. I do look... but, I still have a very good stock of blades and Mama Bear shave soap. My guess is that Buenos Aires would have a lot more to offer. If I do see a "must have", I'll be sure to post it.

Ciao,
chop-chop

Thanks Bruce. I really appreciate your take on the different wines, especially since we'll be staying in and around Mendoza for a few nights. As for shave gear, I'll be sure to pack what I need. If you'd like me to bring anything to mail to you in-country, just send me a PM. I'd be happy to help.

remember that gillette did manufacture some techs and superspeeds in argentina, so you might find a tech that says "industria argentina" under it insted of made in USA

Yeah, I'm going to have him scrounge around and find whatever he can!

remember that gillette did manufacture some techs and superspeeds in argentina, so you might find a tech that says "industria argentina" under it insted of made in USA

Thanks Aevum. My wife (bless her) has already expressed a desire to visit the big Sunday flea market in Buenos Aires on the day we arrive. Guess what I'll be looking for? :biggrin:

Thanks Aevum. My wife (bless her) has already expressed a desire to visit the big Sunday flea market in Buenos Aires on the day we arrive. Guess what I'll be looking for? :biggrin:

TOO BAD! YOU'RE LATE!:lol:

I went to San Telmo Market and bought them all. They thought I was CRAZY for paying 30 Pesos (10 bucks) for an "Old Man" DE.

I'll probably be back again this weekend. :tongue_sm

TOO BAD! YOU'RE LATE!:lol:

I went to San Telmo Market and bought them all. They thought I was CRAZY for paying 30 Pesos (10 bucks) for an "Old Man" DE.

I'll probably be back again this weekend. :tongue_sm

Heck, that just makes the task more sporting! (That, and your searching will convince all the vendors to bring the 195s and toggles out their attics just in time for my arrival :wink:).

Fernet Branca is in that class of beverages known as digestive liqueurs. These are generally consumed as an aperitif to aid in digestion, or post-prandial, in the event of overindulgence. While we stock several at home, my favorite remains Underberg, sold only in small bottles. Sends a tingling that reaches to your very extremities in seconds, and cures what ails you if you've had a bit too much. As to their efficacy, if you believe it works, then, ... On the other hand, the combination of herbs may be somewaht soothing. You can read a bit more about them here.

You take the Campari; I'll take the girl.

Across the Andes Mountains (which are fairly close to San Juan), I've heard that there are some great Chilean wines.

Yeah, I've had some great wines from Chile, too. South American wines in general seem to be pretty good for the price; I've been impressed with most of them. Some cabs from Mendoza are pretty bland, though; I really prefer the Malbec. From Chile, Carmenere is usually a good bet.

jaw, my mistake, must have been a late night typo, i also typed thing insted of think,

america ferrera might be a bit thicker, but shes also hotter, i stand by my conviction that salma hayek was once a man,

Top Bottom