What's new

Fenix Flashlights

Need a new light. Lost the old one. Is the Fenix E35 worth a look? Dont want to spend more than about $50

Fenix makes good flashlights. I have a few but not the E35. The E35 is well regarded and would be a great torch for around $50 IMO.

Not sure what the Thrunite TH10 V2 costs where you are but it's one of the best headtorches on the market if you're out in the wilds at night.

The big selling point for me is the huge 300m throw. If you have to navigate in difficult terrain that can be a lifesaver. On turbo mode, if you put your hand right in front of the torch you'll burn your fingers. I'm not kidding.

It also has a very efficient moonlight mode which is bright enough to read by in a tent. The one-piece design is waterproof to IPX8, 2m.

Spot beam - hence the throw - but with a nice circle of light around the spot so it's very usable. A spot can be more efficient than a wide beam since you can run the light on a lower setting and still get enough light where you really need it. That helps eek out the batteries on a long trip.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Have been buying Fenixes for years with no probs.

Life's better with a 18650 light.

Do have an older Thrunight it's it's fine, but Fenix is latest-greatest stuff.

Bought one in Sept., E28 - something. Compact, charges the 18650 in the light, got me through the last hurricane just fine.

AA

Executive Summary-Spend the extra money if buying today and buy Surefire/Elzetta/Malkoff for your bet your life on handheld flashlight. I would also consider Streamlight as it probably has more product out there than anybody given how well they do the intersection of quality and value. You can ascertain the country of manufacture on their website on the "fact sheet" under the Documentation Tab of each of their products. They assemble in both the USA and the PRC, depends on the product.

To your question:
Basic e35 at 45ish

Latest greatest e35 at 75 ish

Surefire-600 lumens/single output 60 ish.
https://www.amazon.com/SureFire-Tac...1607204965&sprefix=surefire+g2,aps,188&sr=8-5

Cheapest Price/Intersection of Quality and Value/Best Quality. Usually 3 distinct price points. Often Far East to USA/Europe re point of manufacturing. I suppose it depends on what your application is going to be. 'Mission Drives the Gear" (PR-RIP)

I have posted this before in this and other contexts. I know that anything manufactured in China (PRC) can be made to any QC point. Apple and Arcteryx are two examples of superlative products being made in the PRC.

As I have gotten older, gotten wiser and the events of the last 8+ months, have all led me to the "buy once cry once" end of the consumer spectrum and away from the intersection of quality and value that drove my train, particularly when my children were younger. By definition, this tends to be a migration away from products made in the PRC.

I am making a conscious decision to not buy products from the PRC when an non PRC alternative can be sourced. To date this has manifested itself in:
Flashlights, Boots, Cookie Sheets, Muffin Pans, Pizza Cutters, Measuring Cups, Glass Measuring/Baking Ware, Shoe Trees/Shoe Horns/Shoe Laces, Pens/Pencils/Inks, Batteries, Hand Tools etc.

Have I spent more money-yes. Have I received a quality product that delivers better performance-absolutely.

Would I spend more money again even if the performance of the items were exactly the same (PRC v. NON PRC Products with a solid tilt toward Made in the USA)-Without a Doubt.

YMMV Greatly.

Blessings to you all in this time.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
proxy.php

For an 18650 light the FW3A would be my first choice. The BLF A6 is also a pretty cool light. I use one as an everyday light at work. Neal's Gadgets is the go to for both.

The Sofirn C8a also impressed me but it's a larger than EDC light. I ordered mine straight from them but Amazon also has them.

The only crappy thing is their being from China.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Is the Fenix E35 worth a look?

I have a Fenix, but forget the model number. It's a 18650 one, though. I've had it for years with no complaints.

I have, however, tended to buy O-Light brand flashlights instead. They do some great stuff with magnetic recharging.

Life's better with a 18650 light.

indeed.

I have posted this before in this and other contexts. I know that anything manufactured in China (PRC) can be made to any QC point. Apple and Arcteryx are two examples of superlative products being made in the PRC.

Agree ... but.

IMHO almost all manufacturers who move production from CONUS (or other First World locations) to China (or other Third World locations) tend to do so in order to save on production costs, and in most or all examples the initial quality level tends to take a step (or three) downward in the process.

You will see brands that have spent decades of quality production in their original location, building up a stellar reputation for quality ... and then ... well, I guess the market moves on and/or their production costs in their original location keep going up and up ... and the financial pinch comes. So they find somewhere in China or wherever to make the "same" product at a fraction of the labour cost and end up relying on their reputation from decades past, relive past glories, and sell a name and a brand rather than a product.

Many of our members will be familiar with the problems with the Doc Martens brand, for example. There is a well-known brand of winter boot that used to be made in Canada for decades and were The Best boot to have in arctic winters ... but there's only so many pairs of boots you can sell to guys who live half the year in -40 ... especially when your boots are so well made that they last forever! So, sell the name of the boot, and the look of the boot, to those who will pay 90% of the price for 50% of the boot ... since they live somewhere that they normally don't get below -10, they can't tell the difference.

No brand moves production to China in order to improve the quality of their product.

But yes, there are a few good products made in China that are actually high quality and prove that, given the opportunity, the Chinese can make quality stuff too!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have a Fenix, but forget the model number.

It appears to be a PD35. It appears that the PD35 has had a "2.0" upgrade, and suspect that I bought mine prior to that upgrade. It's certainly enough for my needs, so I don't have any burning desire to go get the "latest and greatest" version.

(When I think back to the alkaline battery & incandescent bulb flashlights that we had when I was younger, virtually every flashlight on the market nowadays is miles and miles ahead. The only thing the modern flashlights miss is the "I could club you to death with this" heft of the big old Maglight flashlights.)

1607301903941.png

Mine have all been modified way past factory specs.
View attachment 1191519
Looks like you've fallen down the modifying and building rabbit hole. I still have some learning to do before I'm comfortable with that but I certainly admire your collection.

My first one I'd like to mod use one of the small bat shaped ones from a truck stop. Maybe I'll get to it eventually.

Looks like you've fallen down the modifying and building rabbit hole. I still have some learning to do before I'm comfortable with that but I certainly admire your collection.

My first one I'd like to mod use one of the small bat shaped ones from a truck stop. Maybe I'll get to it eventually.
Budget light forum is a great resource. Plenty of YouTuber guys as well.

Top Bottom