What's new

Feather Portable Revisited!!

You may recall, that I had a pretty negative experience with a Feather Portable a few weeks back:

Worst Shave Ever with Feather Portable

Worst Shave Ever with Feather Portable II

I am happy to report, that "pauldog" has replaced the offending razor, and I had a wonderful quality shave today with the new razor. Close, comfortable, and minimal irritation.

I got a little sloppy on technique, and got a few weepers, but nothing like the bloodbath of the previous two shaves with the damaged Feather Portable.

So what was wrong with the original Portable?

Well I was fairly certain it was the bottom plate. Pauldog sent me a new bottom plate, and I shaved with the razor. Same result: horrible bloodbath.

I then sent the entire razor (including both bottom plates) back to him. He believes the issue is caused by the threaded stud being just slightly bent away from the center point.

He sent me an entirely new razor for safety sake, and included some Iradium blades for my troubles.

Pauldog is a excellent vendor. :thumbup:

~John~

Last edited:
I should have sent a complete replacement head in the first place, just to be sure, and have John try out all the permutations of new and old to see what really was wrong. I certainly wasn't going to take a chance on something going wrong on the second try, so I sent a complete razor back and tossed out the one he returned. Since his case didn't quite snap shut and stay shut, I replaced that, too.

I'm still not certain if it was the top piece or the handle, but it seems more likely that the top part had a slightly crooked thread.

No worries Paul. I have a great razor that works perfectly now. I am very happy with your service, and our transactions. Paul is an outstanding guy. :thumbup1:

As Paul said, mine was a fluke. He has sold tons of these razors, so the likelihood of having another fluke is statistically quite low.

Don't hesitate to order a Feather Portable, it is a very nice razor, that is very well built, and will serve you well for many years. It's also at a great price point, if you are at all on the fence about trying out DE razors.

It's always heartening to see such good customer service. I recently re-ordered 100 Feather blades and another Feather Portable from Pauldog; he's a fine vendor, easy to work with, and a valuable B&Ber.

I want to back this up as well. I'm quite happy with my Feather Portable so far, also from pauldog. My technique is still a little shaky (I slipped badly and almost lost an ear, lol) but the razor itself hasn't caused any problems and is a terrific bargain!

Last edited:
I received my feather portable from pauldog last week but honestly haven't even checked it out yet. Will definitely take a good look at it when I get home this evening. Let me echo everyone else here and say I've had nothing but great dealings with pauldog. I bought his 250-pack of feather blades and use them almost exclusively, in my red tip. They are without a doubt the best deal out there!

Top Bottom