What's new

Feather DE blades Vs. Feather Professional blades (night and day difference). WHY?

This maybe biased, but then it's how I have felt.

After using Parker SRX shavette for many months exclusively with Feather DE blades snapped in half, I have recently been shaving with the Feather Artist Club SS Japanese type razor, loaded with Feather Professional Super blades.

The difference between these blades and how my skin/face felt post-shave is HUGE.

Shavette with DE blades was never a very comforting experience and while it did provide for a close shave, the feel was not great and there were 2 spots (left side of my lower neck and one small spot under my jaw line) I would always get a mild irritation when shaving with this razor. Same is true when I was using a DE razor loaded with Feather blades. It always irritated my skin on these 2 spots.

Now, the AC razor removed the stubble effortlessly, leaving virtually ZERO irritation on those 2 "trouble spots". Turned out there was no trouble at all. I had the same experience with my other SR - no irritation whatsoever.

So, my BIG question is this: Is it smth. about the DE blades that causes irritation?

My own reasoning is that a Feather DE blades are super thin and flexible, while the Feather Professional blades are thick and rigid, just like a real SR and so there's no flex. I think it is this rigidity of the blade that provides for a much smoother and milder shave.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this.

I think it is YMMV thing.
I have opposite experience. I get very comfortable shaves with DE blades ( Rubie, only DE blade availble locally) and A-77 (cabinet) blades in different shavettes.
I wanted to experience the superior shaves with AC blade that everyone is raving about and bought a SS clone. What a DISAPPOINTMENT !! Unpleasant, harsh , stubble remaining after two passes ! I have noticed that many users use AC blade first and after finish with DE razor. I understand now why !

I think you have hit on the issue; it is largely one of blade thickness relative to width, with the AC format providing much better rigidity. In my opinion, Schick Prolines take it up another notch above the Feather AC blades, being both smoother and sharper at the same time. I don't know how they do it.

I find the AC blades more comfortable than the DE blades as well. It may be the thickness of the blade that leads to that result. DE blades cut smoothly but cuts a little too close, if I go ATG. As for the AC blades, it feels tuggy at times but it often leaves me with a more comfortable result.

I still need to do more experiments with both but so far, I'm leaning to AC blades for BBS shaves and DE blades for DFS shaves.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I think it is YMMV thing.
I have opposite experience. I get very comfortable shaves with DE blades ( Rubie, only DE blade availble locally) and A-77 (cabinet) blades in different shavettes.
I wanted to experience the superior shaves with AC blade that everyone is raving about and bought a SS clone. What a DISAPPOINTMENT !! Unpleasant, harsh , stubble remaining after two passes ! I have noticed that many users use AC blade first and after finish with DE razor. I understand now why !
I had occasionally used a Feather Artist Club DX razor for years and always had to do a final cleanup with a DE razor. In an effort to fix this I have used the AC almost exclusively during August and my technique has improved to the point where not only is no final DE pass required but the results are every bit as good as a full DE shave. AC razors may not be for everyone but perseverance and practice is required and, in my case at least, I had previously not properly applied myself.

Indeed is the rigidity of the blade and the thickness allows for a totally different bevel on the cutting edge, I shave almost exclusively with a Feather SS with professional blades and nothing gets me closer and comfortable at the same time, but it took me patience to develop the technique needed to shave flawlessly with it.

The only time I shave with a DE is if I am in a rush and even then I prefer a razor that provides enough rigidity to the blade so it doesn't bend or “skip” while shaving, but that also improves along with your technique.

I think you have hit on the issue; it is largely one of blade thickness relative to width, with the AC format providing much better rigidity. In my opinion, Schick Prolines take it up another notch above the Feather AC blades, being both smoother and sharper at the same time. I don't know how they do it.
Sharper than Pro Super?? For real? 😳

I had occasionally used a Feather Artist Club DX razor for years and always had to do a final cleanup with a DE razor. In an effort to fix this I have used the AC almost exclusively during August and my technique has improved to the point where not only is no final DE pass required but the results are every bit as good as a full DE shave. AC razors may not be for everyone but perseverance and practice is required and, in my case at least, I had previously not properly applied myself.
My shaves with AC and real western SR have always gave me considerably smoother, yet closer shave than any DE, including the R41. I guess it's the typical YMMV. Then, if I think about it candidly it's not YMMV, but technique.

Indeed is the rigidity of the blade and the thickness allows for a totally different bevel on the cutting edge, I shave almost exclusively with a Feather SS with professional blades and nothing gets me closer and comfortable at the same time, but it took me patience to develop the technique needed to shave flawlessly with it.

The only time I shave with a DE is if I am in a rush and even then I prefer a razor that provides enough rigidity to the blade so it doesn't bend or “skip” while shaving, but that also improves along with your technique.
Tnx, I feel the same way.

Top Bottom