What's new

Feather Blade Life Span

I’ve switched to Astras for now, but when I used Feathers for a few months I changed blades every Sunday. Most of the time I probably could have continued for a few days, but I figured why bother. I do break down the razor, dry everything and carefully dry the blade after every shave. I don’t think the blade would last that long otherwise.

Depends on your beard and the razor. I get 4-5 shaves in a Gillette Tech pre-war razor or Muhle R89. Some people get a few more. Feathers unfortunately lose their sharpness faster than other blades of similar sharpness such as Nacet.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I get between 2 and 3 shaves from a Feather. Always 2. Sometimes 2 1/2. About half the longevity of most blades I've used.

No more than 4 shaves for me with Feathers (often less).

That’s compared to 7-10 comfortable shaves from my personal ‘top-tier’ blades (GSB, Nacet, Personna labs, Personna reds, Astra SP). Obviously this is YMMV.

I use any blade for a week, that is 5-7 shaves.

I‘d say the 7th shave with a Feather is not as efficient but still OK. Shave 1 need to pay attention. Shaves 2 to 5 are perfect.

My experience is similar to musicman1951. I presume from his handle that he is similar to me in age. Old man beards are harder to shave.

I do four-pass shaves and get two great shaves from Feather blades. Halfway through the third shave the edge deteriorates to the point it becomes too rough for my sensitive skin. With other blades that are sharp enough for my beard I can get 3-4 good shaves, occasionally five.

I'm always amused when people count the number of shaves they get from a blade. Seriously?? You put little red dots with a marker on them blades? Black dots maybe? You keep a log in an Excel file? 😂 😂 😂

Me, I don't count.

When I was using DEs, my hunch is that I was getting 5-6 or so good shaves. Honestly IDK. What I do know is that I'd throw away the blade about once in 2 weeks, since I shave every 2-3 days.

I've been using AC blades exclusively for the last couple of months and so I have no idea of the exact count. The blade I inserted last (regular Feather Pro) is been inside my Hawk 3 for at least a month... so you do the numbers.

I have tick and dense beard and typically do 3-4 passes + buffing clean-up.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
3 and that's it. As they are quite expensive compared to BIC, Personna platinum, med prep, GSB and 7 O'clock yellow which all give me 10+ shaves per blade I just can't rave about them as some do

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
With the FHS-10 about 1 and a half and that was tuggy to begin with.
Feather DE probably 4 shaves
Feather AC 10-15

All 2 pass and touchups.

I change blades at the first of every month. Until now I haven't gone beyond 3 shaves on a Feather. In one of my Techs I still have January's Feather blade, and used it for the 4th time earlier this month. One more shave with it this month, presuming it shaves well, and I'll reevaluate whether to try running that brand of blade for 2 months in future.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I change blades at the first of every month. Until now I haven't gone beyond 3 shaves on a Feather. In one of my Techs I still have January's Feather blade, and used it for the 4th time earlier this month. One more shave with it this month, presuming it shaves well, and I'll reevaluate whether to try running that brand of blade for 2 months in future.
So you have 7 razors in rotation?

Top Bottom