What's new

Favourite Combo For BBS

Just out of curiosity, what's your "go-to" combo when you want a BBS shave?? Please list any pre-treatments, razor / blade and soap and/or cream.
I know there may be variations depending on season, when you last shaves, etc, but just as a general "kit".

For me, I find BBS fairly easy to get if I haven't shaved for 36 hours, use the "hot towel", use a Slant (with almost any blade, but Derby is best) and make a "superlather" with pretty well any soap / cream in my normal rotation, but prefer the scent of SuzieBubbles Patchouli soap with Tabac SC and a couple of drops of glycerine mixed in.

Hot shower, Gentleman's Quarter Bay Rum & Orange soap, any triple milled or glycerin soap from various mfgs, Merkur Slant/Feather.

First choice: Slant, Israeli no-name blue wrapper blade, olive oil as pre-shave or Proraso pre, Proraso and for the last pass Alba or Earth Science.

Second choice is fatboy dialed in at 7 and all of the above.

I do not have particularly heavy stubble but I am unable to shave BBS all over. Even if I just go for it whatever the consequences I can't do it. Maybe I'm just sensitive :blush:

Cheers

Mat

Coates Sandalwood and a Merkur LHC w/ Feather blade is the rig that I go with if I need and/or want the best possible shave. Aggravates me to no end that Coates is no longer available :mad3:

Hot shower with conditioner rubbed on my stubble.. My Gillette Slim with a new feather gliding over The Body Shop Cream (4 pass shave) then skin food.. and then The Body Sho0p aftershave Balm.. Smoooooooth

Maybe I'm a lucky one, but I've found that as long as I spend plenty of time getting the pre-shave right, I can get BBS with almost anything... Sometimes I'll get just a little irritation (as in last nights shave) but usually have no problems.

Prior to getting a great pre-shave down pat, it seemed to be a toss up rather I'd be able to make it to BBS... Sometimes after just 2 or 3 passes I'd have to stop or else I knew my face was going to be raw...

I should also note though, that there have been a few times when I knew a blade or razor just wasn't doing it for me and would swap it out for something better known...

Thanks for all the replies so far guys!! Some interesting "kits" and choice of soaps & creams.

snip... Merkur Slant....snip.

How did I know you'd say that??:tongue:

snip...Israeli no-name blue wrapper blade,....snip

I haven't tried those. If you have spares, and haven't tried the Red Pack IP (of which I have plenty), would you be interested in trading a few??

snip....The Body Shop Cream .....snip..... The Body Shop aftershave Balm.....snip

Ya know Albert, I'd forgotten all about that stuff!!! When I first got into DE Shaving, I bought a few tubes of each (sample size, 10 for $12 I think) and much of it is still home. I have to go back and try that again.

For a smooth shave, I forgo shaving for about 48 hours (or the duration of the weekend), lather up with Tabac, shower, rinse the Tabac off, and relather and then shave with a straight.

Hot Shower, Noxema Original as a pre-shave, Proraso Cream, Fat Boy at 6 with a Derby, Aqua Velva aftershave. BBS every time!!

Randy

I shave on Wednesdays and Sundays.
For me a Derby in my 40's SS with KMF.
JR Watkins Lemon Body Oil as pre-shave.
4 passes and my face is as smooth as a wet eyeball.
Absolutely NO irritation.

Last night though, I was very impressed with my Progress/Derby/Palmolive Shave Stick combo!

I go for BBS pretty much every day with whatever I happen to be using for shaving cream/soap and aftershave - but some specifics:

• Merkur 38C - Go To razor pretty much all the time these days. Best shaves with it.
  • Aqua Velva - If I have been overzealous going for BBS, took a chance on a blade shat should have been replaced, etc., I pull out the Aqua. Best thing I have found for burn/bumps. Most days I don't NEED to Go To the Aqua but I use it most days anyway :biggrin:
  • Triple Milled soap. I use a bunch of different soaps & creams. I think I have the most success getting irritation free BBS with triple milled soaps. Overall they edge out the creams and glycerine based soaps for BBS.

i'll play along too...

baxter's scrub - i use it every morning.
savile row SR208I
HD with a derby
TGQ shave soap
italian floid
QED moisturizer

s~s

Gillette Superspeed red tip with Swede
TOBS cream after hot shower or hot towel, lather with below average water content (not runny, more cream like than foam like)
Nivea mild ASB

My favorite shave, right now, is:

• Pre-wash face twice with French milled soap
  • Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap
  • Savile Row 3226 in finest silvertip
  • Merkur Vision 2000
  • Feather or Israeli blade
  • Three pass shave - With, Across, Against

I find that I don't care to use any witch hazel or after shave after this shave. The MWF is such an excellent skin conditioner.

Tim

Top Bottom