What's new

Favorite TV chefs?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall got me back into cooking quite a while ago. There are a few others that I also enjoyed watching. The late Antonio Carluccio was another with his other Italian friend in The Two Greedy Italians.

I am glad to see this thread revived. America's Test Kitchen in by far my favorite ongoing series these days. I suppose I do not really distinguish between ATK and Cook's Country. I do not think I have a favorite among the various presenters.

I am surprised to find myself saying this, but I think it is even better since Christopher Kimball left. I feel bad about that because I think ATK probably screwed him over.

I do not find myself very interested in Milk Street, even though I have watched it a lot. Ironic that C Kimball should become an advocate for ethnic foods. On ATK he seemed to discourage cooking them.

Samin Nosrat of Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat is wonderful.

Jacques Pepin seemed wonderful back in the day and I credit him for much of what I know about cooking. He seems kind of grumpy and uninteresting these days.

Aaron Franklin on You Tube is wonderful for brisket.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I loved Pasquale, as well!

"Da saus-eh canna wait-a for da pasta, but the pasta no canna wait-a for da sauce!"
I loved the way he could make a sauce in 10 minutes in a fry pan ... until then I only knew about long-simmered pots of bolognese.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I actually like Guy Fieri. I wanted to hate him, I really did. The frosted, spikey hair, the loud, over the top personality... I WANT to want to punch him right in his stupid face. But I can’t stop watching his shows. Especially Guy’s Grocery Games. I can’t for the life of me understand why, but there’s just something about the dude I find likeable. He entertains me, and not in an ironic “because he’s annoying” sort of way. His antics get genuine smiles out of me. I almost feel like he’s that coworker you find obnoxious at first, but then he grows on you and you become friends. Am I the only one who’s had relationships like that?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I loved the way he could make a sauce in 10 minutes in a fry pan ... until then I only knew about long-simmered pots of bolognese.

Indeed, he taught much about the beauty of simplicity. I was still living at home as a student and not at the point where I was cooking much, but I loved his show. I took a lot of his lessons to heart, and they served me very well once I did start cooking. Pasquale certainly isn't alone in that regard, but I do find myself quoting him often (and in my absolute worst Italian accent).

Top Bottom