What's new

Favorite Rum Drink for Summer

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The secret to a good thirst quenching rum drink in very hot humid weather/climates is to avoid sugar. A tall Mojito, light sugar, is okay. Cuba Libre with Diet Coke tastes remarkably good and fights thirst in a tall glass with plenty of ice. Dont spare the lime! My favorite is rum and plain grapefruit juice. The bitterness of the juice and relative lack of sugar cuts the summer phlegm nicely and tickles the taste buds. Stick with a dry white rum. Dark rums are for winter drinks. Planters Punch, hot buttered rum, etc.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
That is a very poetic post. I really enjoyed reading it!

The secret to a good thirst quenching rum drink in very hot humid weather/climates is to avoid sugar. A tall Mojito, light sugar, is okay. Cuba Libre with Diet Coke tastes remarkably good and fights thirst in a tall glass with plenty of ice. Dont spare the lime! My favorite is rum and plain grapefruit juice. The bitterness of the juice and relative lack of sugar cuts the summer phlegm nicely and tickles the taste buds. Stick with a dry white rum. Dark rums are for winter drinks. Planters Punch, hot buttered rum, etc.

Whole Gale

2 oz. Cruzan Black Strap rum
1 oz. fresh lime juice
¾ oz. spiced brown sugar syrup*
1 3/4 oz. chocolate stout
1 tsp. fresh grated ginger.

Stir all ingredients in glass and add crushed ice.

*for spiced brown sugar syrup: 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup water, shake or two of powdered cinnamon, shake or two of nutmeg, several whole cloves, tbsp. or so of whole peppercorns. Heat to dissolve sugar and simmer for 15-20 min., strain and chill.

I recommend a quadruple of this, paired w/ a large gauge maduro, while in a pool on a floating chair.

Don't drink rum often, but when we are in a warm clime a Mai Tai is just the ticket IMO! This is the recipe from the Royal Hawaiian in Honolulu.

Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai Recipe
A Mai Tai is a tropical drink made with dark and light rum, orange liqueur, orange juice, and lime juice. This is the original Mai Tai recipe that was created and made famous by the Royal Hawaiian Hotel in Waikiki, which is also known as the "Pink Palace".

Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai Ingredients:
-1 ounce Dark Rum
-1 oz Light Rum
-1 oz Orange Curacao
-2 oz Orange Juice
-1/2 oz Lime Juice
-Dash Orgeat
-Dash Simple Bar Syrup

Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai Instructions:
Mix all ingredients and pour over crushed or shaved ice in a glass. Service with a swizzle stick and garnish with a cherry and a slice of pineapple. on a toothpick.

Classic daiquiri:
sugar cube and enough water to dissolve it
juice of a lime
2 oz rum
Fill remainder of rocks glass with ice. Takes 1 min to whip up and it's very refreshing!

If I'm out: piña colada at a restaurant, rum runner at the beach or Key West, mojito at The Columbia in Sarasota or Ybor City.

I haven't had one in a while, but a rum and tonic is very tasty (just like a gin and tonic, with lots of lime).

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I almost bought a bottle of. Romer's Gin and some tonic water and a lime this week but went with Corzo and Cranberry Juice

Gonna give the rum a try. I'm pretty sure I have a bottle I bought when last in Jamaica!!!

My old standby has always been Cap'n and Coke (3 fingers of Cap'n) but this past weekend I had a drink called Dark and Stormy. That stuff is amazing.

I don't mix my rum with anything other than a few rocks, sometimes. Nothing like a some El Dorado 15 Year rum with a rock or two. Or neat. Delicious.

For recipes, my wife loves Dark and Stormy's but only with Gosling's Rum and Gosling's Ginger Beer. For her, nothing else will do.

Top Bottom