What's new

Fatip Piccolo and paa doc

Angle is everything with a Fatip OC. A slight change of handle angle, 10° or even less, will take it from mild to wild.
I am still learning with DE razors, but yes I have figured out that "riding the cap", and contact, no pressure, gives the best results to me. Many light strokes, makes for a good shave, few heavy ones irritation.
Think it's because I thought it similar to cartridge razors, that require pressure, and angle doesn't matter, that I had a few unpleasant shaves before adjusting my technique.

Well first shave with the Piccolo, and I find this razor extremity smooth. I do not think this is aggressive at all. As a matter of fact im thinking the sloc is more aggressive then this. I know it's my first shave and maybe I'm wrong, but I almost felt like the Piccolo was mild. Kinda nice considering I was prepared for a hard to get the hang of razor.

Well first shave with the Piccolo, and I find this razor extremity smooth. I do not think this is aggressive at all. As a matter of fact im thinking the sloc is more aggressive then this. I know it's my first shave and maybe I'm wrong, but I almost felt like the Piccolo was mild. Kinda nice considering I was prepared for a hard to get the hang of razor.
Glad to hear!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
You have felt the magic of the Pic, welcome to the club :thumbup:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Your first experience with a Fatiip mirrors my own. They arent aggressive at all. You've discovered the difference between "aggressive" and "efficient". They are mild and user friendly once you understand the basics.

image.png

Your first experience with a Fatiip mirrors my own. They arent aggressive at all. You've discovered the difference between "aggressive" and "efficient". They are mild and user friendly once you understand the basics.

View attachment 1047369
Thanks, I like it. I do think there is learning to be had with the fatip. The only area I had a hard time with was my neck. There it felt a little sensitive. I do have a sensitive neck though.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks, I like it. I do think there is learning to be had with the fatip. The only area I had a hard time with was my neck. There it felt a little sensitive. I do have a sensitive neck though.

Theres a learning curve with any razor but its easier with a Fatip than some others.

I can have a hard time on my neck too. Sensitive skin, dense growth and swirl growth patterns.
beard-grain-map-1.jpg

The easiest and most comfortable way for me to shave my neck is with a very shallow angle. In the picture below imagine the red line the level of my skin with the cap pushed into it. All pressure applied is between the green lines.

Grande.Pressure.Point.JPG

Used at that angle I feel nothing and hear very little. With a little buffing in two directions it leaves me with a 12 hour BBS finish. If you feel the blade, you're too steep.

If I use a steep angle, the very edge of the blade will flex and tug the hairs giving me weepers. If you use a steep angle and think that might be the problem, try a Feather blade. The extra sharpness they offer can offset the tugging. The first shave on a fresh Feather with a steeper angle can be incredible.

Theres a learning curve with any razor but its easier with a Fatip than some others.

I can have a hard time on my neck too. Sensitive skin, dense growth and swirl growth patterns.
View attachment 1047480

The easiest and most comfortable way for me to shave my neck is with a very shallow angle. In the picture below imagine the red line the level of my skin with the cap pushed into it. All pressure applied is between the green lines.

View attachment 1047481

Used at that angle I feel nothing and hear very little. With a little buffing in two directions it leaves me with a 12 hour BBS finish. If you feel the blade, you're too steep.

If I use a steep angle, the very edge of the blade will flex and tug the hairs giving me weepers. If you use a steep angle and think that might be the problem, try a Feather blade. The extra sharpness they offer can offset the tugging. The first shave on a fresh Feather with a steeper angle can be incredible.
Thanks I'll try the shallow angle on the neck, if that does not work I'll try the steep angle with a feather blade, the feather blades are pricey. The steep angle with a sharp blade is interesting and makes sense. I guess if I have a semi sharp blade I should focus on a shallow angle. I'll try that.

I have the Phoenix DOC and the SLOC. Both heads are pretty well crafted and hold the blade aligned properly. The SLOC was the first I used, and I've only used it a few times so far. The head is very precisely made and fits together like a glove. I found it to be really efficient, but I did get a nick or two every time I used it. It's possible I didn't quite discover the right angle for it, and I'll experiment more when I next use it. The DOC is a really good looking razor. The nickel finish, the short handle, the deep knurling, all do it for me. But I found it to be incredibly mild when I first used it, even milder than the Merkur 15C. I wasn't getting good shaves with it, and thought I might have to PIF it, but then I went with a steep angle. All of a sudden I was getting close shaves with it. It is definitely a mild razor, but if you use the right blade, like a Feather, and the right angle, you can in fact get good shaves. I'm now keeping it in my den for those times when I want something mild but effective.

I have the Phoenix DOC and the SLOC. Both heads are pretty well crafted and hold the blade aligned properly. The SLOC was the first I used, and I've only used it a few times so far. The head is very precisely made and fits together like a glove. I found it to be really efficient, but I did get a nick or two every time I used it. It's possible I didn't quite discover the right angle for it, and I'll experiment more when I next use it. The DOC is a really good looking razor. The nickel finish, the short handle, the deep knurling, all do it for me. But I found it to be incredibly mild when I first used it, even milder than the Merkur 15C. I wasn't getting good shaves with it, and thought I might have to PIF it, but then I went with a steep angle. All of a sudden I was getting close shaves with it. It is definitely a mild razor, but if you use the right blade, like a Feather, and the right angle, you can in fact get good shaves. I'm now keeping it in my den for those times when I want something mild but effective.
Awesome , so I guess there is reason to have both the sloc and the doc? My sloc came in and I love the design so much I want to get the doc.

I mean, I think so. You can use the DOC for really easy, comfortable daily shaves (and pretty close ones too, when you find your angle) and just speed through with it, and the SLOC can give you more efficiency but I think requires a little more care. I actually just picked up a RR UFO handle to be a dedicated handle for my SLOC, so I'll probably be using that one again pretty soon.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Awesome , so I guess there is reason to have both the sloc and the doc? My sloc came in and I love the design so much I want to get the doc.
There is always a reason to get another razor, but try different blades first. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Gillette Heritage, as I have never tried that style razor.
Keep us posted with your results!

Top Bottom