What's new

Fat Boy torque question

I just received my first Fat Boy and love it. One thing I noticed was in regards to the twist mechanism that opens and closes the head doors. I twist the mechanism until there's resistance but I've noticed that I'm still able to twist it about a quarter turn until the mechanism comes to a complete stop. Is this the way it should be or am I over tightening the razor?

My "RAD" has led me to acquire four Fatboys ranging in condition from Excellent to Mint/Unused and all of them tighten the same way. It is normal and I would say all is well with your 'Boy.

Thanks for the quick reply! I absolutely love this razor and I would hate to ruin it. I've now got the peace of mind I needed :)

The last quarter turn locks down the silo doors. I may be wrong, but I believe that this is something that's unique to the fatboy and the slim. Wonderful touch actually.

Make sure to open the silo doors slightly when you adjust the razor up or down. They're not made to be adjusted when the silo doors are locked down, so open them up a bit.

Just make sure not to open the silo doors to let the razor dry, and forget to tighten it back down before you shave. Trust me, it's not fun.

My black handle super adjustable also has a light turn to it after you get the doors shut all the way. I thought it was screwed up, but maybe not, maybe they do it to. Anyone kno?

My black handle super adjustable also has a light turn to it after you get the doors shut all the way. I thought it was screwed up, but maybe not, maybe they do it to. Anyone kno?

Now that's something I didn't know. It looks like the black handles may do the same thing as the fatboys.

Like i said i'm not sure if all black handles do it, but i kno mine does. My newfound rad will probably let me verify within a few weeks tho.

Yes - my Fatboys are the same - one of them more so than the other. Does not seem to effect it's performance.

You should try a slim adjustable - they are also great.

Thanks all for the affirmations!

Regarding the Super Adjustable, mine does the same thing but it doesn't feel as "on purpose" as the Fat Boy.

Thanks all for the affirmations!

Regarding the Super Adjustable, mine does the same thing but it doesn't feel as "on purpose" as the Fat Boy.

I've got a fat boy on the way.....i guess i'll see exactly what you mean here in the next day or so.

I have used my FB for nearly 30 years, almost daily-- there have been a few occasions when I didn't give it that last little "insurance" tweak...your face will tell you if you forget, because it feels like the 7th circle of hell!!!!

Good purchase! Enjoy, and many happy shaves!

My black handled adjustable Gillette has the extra quarter turn thing too. I like it. Feels like it really pulls the doors down tight.

Simon

My black handled adjustable Gillette has the extra quarter turn thing too. I like it. Feels like it really pulls the doors down tight.

Simon

Just don't hand it to Chuck Norris and let him torque it down...you would find that the blade would melt into a diamond-like material, never before encountered by humankind.

Top Bottom