What's new

Fat Boy 1-9 Dial Question

After a hiatus , I've just recently thought about returning to shaving with my FatBoy (E4) - I was thinking that a quick way to judge whether the 1-9 dial settings are relatively accurate with respect to each other would be close it down without a blade at each position and eyeball the gap between each door and the base plate - is that a reasonable method ??

R

romsitsa

Hello, maybe I don't fully understand, but the relative positions will always be the same. The adjuster dial can be off or over/underclocked, but the distance between the settings is always the same.

Eyeballing is not accurate enough. The differences is settings are miniscule. If you're serious about the project, get some gauges and do it right.

Hello, maybe I don't fully understand, but the relative positions will always be the same. The adjuster dial can be off or over/underclocked, but the distance between the settings is always the same.
You're correct , I described my concern in the wrong way - I just want to see if the gap is roughly the same between any two consecutive settings , using a feeler gauge is a good idea .

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and responses , using a feeler gauge sounds like a good idea , I just never heard of this type of measuring device , familiar with micrometer and caliper but not the feeler gauge , now I know .

eyeball the gap between each door and the base plate - is that a reasonable method ??
No, very difficult to check with the naked eye.
You can measure them with a feeler gauge if you're concerned they aren't right.
The best way to do it.
...using a feeler gauge sounds like a good idea , I just never heard of this type of measuring device..
Spark plug feeler gauges and contact gap feeler gauges are relatively cheap and the best tools for the job. Contact gap feeler gauges or general purpose feeler gauges will be reasonably accurate for your intended use.

If you haven't found it here what a feeler guage looks like. This one is fanned out. Each one is a different thickness with the thickness stamped on each metal pieces. It is awkward but I have done it with a caliper. I have also used old used DE blades, stack them and see how many will fit without jamming them in. They are .004" thick each.

1609811206336.png

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the tip. I think I might have some feeler gauges here somewhere.

Top Bottom