What's new

False Advertising - Maybe

I saw this in posted in an on-line shop, not saying which one or where the shop is located, but I do question this statement:

You get 20 packs of five blades that will last you 2-4 years depending on how often you shave and the toughness of your beard.

Anyone think that's a bit much???

I can probably get 2 years out of 100 blades. I have nearly a full-beard though and only shave about 20% of my face.

This is probably a stretch for most guys.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
It would probably be true if you do 1 pass only.

Once you buy the 100 blades you will use them for roughly a week and then you will buy another 100 of a different brand and use them for approximatley 1 week. After this you may decide that straight shaving is for you and you will buy 15-20 straights and have to try them all out. This may take months. You may then decide you don't like straights, sell them off and forgot which blades you liked best. You will then find a post on B&B and see that x-brand is really getting some posts, so you decide to buy 100 of those particular blades.

All in all those 1st 100 blades will probably last you 15 years:w00t:

This has never happened to me so I am only guessing:blushing:

S

siouxsie

Once you buy the 100 blades you will use them for roughly a week and then you will buy another 100 of a different brand and use them for approximatley 1 week. After this you may decide that straight shaving is for you and you will buy 15-20 straights and have to try them all out. This may take months. You may then decide you don't like straights, sell them off and forgot which blades you liked best. You will then find a post on B&B and see that x-brand is really getting some posts, so you decide to buy 100 of those particular blades.

All in all those 1st 100 blades will probably last you 15 years:w00t:

This has never happened to me so I am only guessing:blushing:

Never happened to me. The part about the straights anyway. :lol:

+1

Some guys don't have very tough beards. My brother can get a month out of one Bic disposable! So it may not be too out of line. I can get 6 shaves out of a Shark Super Chrome, so I would be about 3 months shy of 2 years if those blades are just as good as the Sharks are for me. That's why we say "YMMV" !

Most shaves I only do a 2 passes. I can get up to 8 shaves on a Feather blade like this. Two years might be reasonable. A lot of people I know only shave 2-3 times a week so it could be more.

One factor that's important is how often you shave. I shave every day, so even assuming 4 shaves per blade, that's a little over 13 months for a 100 blades. On the other hand, a lot of guys shave only four or five days a week, or even less than four. Based on that, 2-4 years with 100 blades is not ridiculous.

Last edited:
On the other hand, a lot of guys shave only four or five days a week, or even less than four. Based on that, 2-4 years with 100 blades is not ridiculous.

Even than 4 years is very optimistic. I shave about every other day; let's say 3 times a week. I get 2-4 shaves out of a blade (some do 5 but more are gone after, or before, 1 shave). So I need about one blade a week. Still don't get my 2 years out of a hundred blades......

I saw this in posted in an on-line shop, not saying which one or where the shop is located, but I do question this statement:

Anyone think that's a bit much???

No more than an exaggeration of when people claim a month or more with a single cartridge razor. Personally, four years is not realistic if you shave daily and have a full beard. Two years is probably what you can expect if you use a blade a week. Consider their estimate is like the EPA mileage ratings of motor vehicles, a theoretical value.

Last edited:
one factor that's important is how often you shave. I shave every day, so even assuming 4 shaves per blade, that's a little over 13 months for a 100 blades. On the other hand, a lot of guys shave only four or five days a week, or even less than four. Based on that, 2-4 years with 100 blades is not ridiculous.

+1

Top Bottom