What's new

Facial Mask - After you've shaved

Hi everyone.

Has anyone tried using a face mask after they've shaved? I'd like to try it, but I'm not sure if it's too much for my skin.

What are you views/ experiences?

:biggrin1:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Never tried it, but a deep cleaning mask would probably not be very comfortable after a shave. Some say the blade removes almost as much skin as hair, do you really want to put anything strong on your face after all that exfoliation?

I have tried the AOS after shave mask. It is awesome, although a bit pricey.

I wouldn't used a mask like the mint julep clay queen Helena one after... Its too much for an aftershave.

Out of curiosity, what does a facial mask do? If its purpose is cleansing, can't we achieve the same result with a hot shower, wash cloth, and soap, followed by a wet shave with more hot water and soap? In any event, I have not tried one and probably never will (due to time constraints mostly), but I am curious.

Never even thought about it. From my shaves, soaps and unrefined shea butter, i can not see how my face/skin could get any softer or healthier.
Good luck to you.

depends on whats in the mask. i am no expert, but wikipedia tells me

-deep-cleansing, by penetrating the pores;
healing acne scars or hyper-pigmentation;
brightening, for a gradual illumination of the skin tone.

Some masks are designed to dry or solidify on the face, almost like plaster; others just remain wet.

The perceived effects of a facial mask treatment include revitalizing, healing, or refreshing; and, may yield temporary or long-term benefits (depending on environmental, dietary, and other skincare factors).

from AOS

The Art of Shaving® After-Shave Mask® deeply cleanses the pores, as it rejuvenates the skin. This unique blend of 100% botanical ingredients provides relief from razor burn, ingrown hairs, nicks, cuts and skin irritations, while replenishing necessary nutrients lost during the shaving process.

No ASL or ASB makes me skin feel/look the same way as the AOS mask..

you could probably make something similar based on the ingredients if you were so inclined, it would likely be cheaper per oz than retail AOS

Aqua (Water), Rosa Centifolia Flower Water, Montmorillonite, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Glycerin, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Xanthan Gum, Fragrance.

I wouldn't recommend a clay mask after a shave. I think the skin is probably still too raw for that. If I do mask (once or twice a month), I try to do it two days before I have a lot of growth to lop off

I wouldn't recommend a clay mask after a shave. I think the skin is probably still too raw for that. If I do mask (once or twice a month), I try to do it two days before I have a lot of growth to lop off

I don't want to be argumentative so this will be my last post on this thread, but the mask I refer to above is especially for after shaves. It's very soothing and "healing". Not a face drying, pore sucking peel

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
so the AoS mask. I notice there are 8 little bottles. is it only 8 applications then? how many face masks would you get for 60 bucks?

The instructions make it sound like one use per bottle, but in practice I get 4 or 5 uses. So conservatively it's a buck a use.

I got mine on sale and I wouldn't use it more than 2-3x a month at most.

proxy.php

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Of course AoS would market it as single use vials. I'd like to give it a try, but not at $60. I think they run 20% off sales occasionally which is a little better. i'm not opposed to a facial mask but I've never used one and think I have great skin. Its more dry than anything so i'm not sure a twice a month face mask would solve anything.

I had the AOS mask applied after the royal shave I had at one of their shops which was quite pleasant by the way but would not pay that much money for their little container to use at home. I don't really see the benefit of doing it after a shave though.

Try one that's a little toning but good for sensitive skin. It'll close the pores back up, and as long as its meant for sensitive skin, shouldn't cause any aggravation. If you have a LUSH store near you, they should have a selection- although they all need to be refrigerated as they lack preservatives (one does not, but it's minty and exfoliating and would probably be better used before a shave not after).

-John

i just noticed at least 2 professional barbers use a mask in their shave performance. AOS definitely does in their barber shop stores and so does

NY Shave company http://www.nyshavingcompany.com/ultimateshave.html

New York Shaving Company's™ most popular service (ultimate) begins with a hot towel to soften the beard. We then massage the face with our pre-shave oil to protect and soften the skin. Next, we apply our original shave cream. Then, with the best steel razors, our Master Barbers begin to put their years of experience to work. The face is shaved twice, once with the grain, then re-lathered and shaved across the grain for the closest shave possible. The face is then wrapped in a hot towel while the barber prepares with fresh ingredients our after shave mask, seconds before it is applied to the customers' face. Our after shave mask revitalizes the skin and replenishes nutrients lost during the shaving process. Once the mask has dried, it is removed with a hot towel soaked in lemon essential oil. Finally, our rose water is applied and the face is massaged lightly with out after shave balm to replenish natural moisture.

STandard service The service begins with a hot towel to soften the beard. We then massage the face with our pre-shave oil to soften and protect the skin. Next, we apply our original shave cream. Then, with the best steel razors, our Master Barbers begin to put their years of experience to work. The face is shaved twice, once with the grain, and then re-lathered and shaved across the grain for the closest shave possible. A cold towel infused with lavender essential oul is then applied. Finally, our rose water is applied and the face is massaged lightly with our after-shave balm to replenish natural moisture.

it looks like the mask is the only difference and accounts for 15$ difference (besides the essential oil scent), which also happens to be the price for their "clay face mask" service.

Last edited:
Top Bottom