What's new

Face lathering time

There is a video link in the Italian boar appreciation thread over in the Shaving Brush Forum https://youtu.be/j7YbRRJxxLM that shows an Italian barber doing a face shave of a client. One thing that struck me is that the barber spent a full two minutes building the lather on the clent's face before starting in with his razor. It's not obvious to me how much of that time is the actual building of the lather and how much of it is working the lather in to the face, but a large part of it seemed to be just working it in.

My barber uses a hot-lather machine, wipes the lather on and starts right in; but then he is only shaving the back of my neck and around the edges of the haircut. Still, it works fine.

My question is this: What is the benefit of spending extra time working the lather in to the face once the lather is built?

He is focusing on softening and lifting the hair, which will provide a smoother and closer shave overall. This is why many of us believe in face lathering as the one best way to build a lather, YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that I've ever bought it or used it but I think I read somewhere the Gillette can cream has a printed recommendation on it to leave the lather on your face for 2 minutes before starting to shave. There is added benefit to soften the beard and moisturize the face IMO. I have never been a bowl lather guy since starting traditional shaving 5 years ago. I have noticed more prep time and better technique lead to better shaves than better, newer, sharper, more expensive products. Give face later a try sometime and really spend a few minutes working the lather with your brush on your face.

Building lather in a bowl and simply pasting it on your face is waste of time if you don't really work it in.
It is the classic mistake canned foam users do,they don't work the lather into their stubble but simply paste it on and than complain about the poor lubrication and praise the "supperiority" of the brush and cream.
Use ANY lubrication mean right,by really working it into your stubble for a minute or two and you will get a great shave.

Developing the beard for an effective shave can be demonstrated quite easily. In this case, it has nothing to do with what you've described, but you will see is all about the benefit intended. First, with a dry face and normal beard, apply any shaving lather or canned foam and start to shave immediately. Observe your reaction and satisfaction with the experience. Next day, shower and wash your face with your hair shampoo. Then, step to your sink and apply the same product you used the first day and shave. Observe your reaction and satisfaction with the experience. Most people will find the shave after hydrating and cleansing of the beard is more comfortable, less prone to skin damage, and lasts longer into the day. This is the basis for every action which people take to prepare the beard for shaving beyond just slapping lather/foam on and whipping the razor around.

Looking at your bona fides I'm impressed the idea is unique to you. Master of Excalibur and prodigious Senior member of the Board. May I ask if this is a teaching moment?

If I were to try and simplify my response I'd propose: Imagine an area of your beard and you are seeing it at nearly skin level. The brush bristles with soapy lather/wetness travel into the picture. As the water/soap has time on the skin and surrounding the individual follicles of the beard the hair relaxes, absorbs some moisture, and stands more upright. Dead skin and detritus are lifted and suspended in the lather due to the action of the brush bristles moving about the area. When a razor is then applied the blade edge has an environment which is lubricated, the hair is softer and easier to cut, and the cut hair is lifted and suspended in the lather; often caught and removed by the action of the razor body moving through this lather.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It's part of prep. If you have already done all the required prep beforehand it's a complete waste of time.

I do my prep in the shower, starting with the face under the stream of water for about 15-20 seconds and keeping it wet the whole time. I also shampoo my face along with my hair.

At some point in this process I am also wasting my time, but I'm not sure where that is and it's all pretty easy.

I usually use a scuttle, but today I face lathered. Of course that required extra soap on the face time as I built the lather. The shave was absolutely no different than any scuttle day. My prep was already finished, so the face lathering added nothing to the process.

But if you're sitting in a barber chair I think we can assume you're not dripping wet from your shower. So it's easily possible (and kind of obvious) for the lathering to be hydrating your dry face.

There is certainly nothing wrong with using face lathering as part of your prep - just don't think it's making your .042 cm daily growth stand up better or other magical thoughts.:001_tongu

It's part of prep. ...

I do my prep in the shower, starting with the face under the stream of water for about 15-20 seconds and keeping it wet the whole time. I also shampoo my face along with my hair.
But if you're sitting in a barber chair I think we can assume you're not dripping wet from your shower. So it's easily possible (and kind of obvious) for the lathering to be hydrating your dry face....

This is the point I was missing. I've already done most of my prep before I start face lathering. Typically I shower, wash my face again thoroughly with some French triple-milled moisturizing soap and then apply a hot wash cloth for two minutes. Next I apply a moisturizer to condition my skin. Only then do I begin the process of face lathering. In the video, the client has probably just come in off the street. The extra face-lathering time is presumably substituting for other prep work.

Thank you all for your responses. I'm still learning even after 66 years of shaving!

The main issue is giving the beard time to absorb enough water so that it becomes softer and easier to cut. Over 10 years ago on this site someone posted an article that stated dry hair has a greater tensile strength than steel (I might assume that was pound for pound, but I did not try and look it up or confirm any specifics). But after absorbing water its tensile strength dropped a lot.

I think beard hydration is one of the biggest factors in different people getting different number of shaves out of their blades. Or finding that they like one blade while their friend dislikes that blade and prefers another.

I can’t add anything to the excellent answers you’ve been given here beyond echoing @ackvil ’s point that, as well as all of the thermal, chemical, and mechanical benefits of face lathering, it feels darn nice as well! I regularly spend two minutes or more face lathering - it’s a self-indulgent treat in the morning.

The main issue is giving the beard time to absorb enough water so that it becomes softer and easier to cut. Over 10 years ago on this site someone posted an article that stated dry hair has a greater tensile strength than steel (I might assume that was pound for pound, but I did not try and look it up or confirm any specifics). But after absorbing water its tensile strength dropped a lot.

I think beard hydration is one of the biggest factors in different people getting different number of shaves out of their blades. Or finding that they like one blade while their friend dislikes that blade and prefers another.
++ I think this is absolutely right.

As a result of the discussion in this thread, I have been extending the time I spend face lathering to a full two minutes. It really makes a difference! More and better lather and better hydration. Plus it has made the shaving experience even more enjoyable. Try it! You'll like it!

In an early post I mis-stated tne number of years I have been shaving. It has only been 56 years. My apologies for the error.

In an early post I mis-stated tne number of years I have been shaving. It has only been 56 years. My apologies for the error.

Well that changes things...pfft newbie.

BCC41303-4C59-4606-BF21-76243175A26E.gif

Just kidding!

He is focusing on softening and lifting the hair, which will provide a smoother and closer shave overall. This is why many of us believe in face lathering as the one best way to build a lather, YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1! For me more contact with the lather and exfoliation of my skin are two huge advantages of face lathering!

Top Bottom