What's new

Face lather vs bowl lather

Bowl lather here. I don't like the mess I make face lathering. I will fine tune on my face as need be, but 95% of the time I get it just right in the bowl.
This. I exclusively bowl lather. Face lathering to exfoliate makes no sense; shaving is excellent exfoliation.

I feel like face lathering and then shaving is just too much and can cause irritation.

When I first started I bought a fancy scuttle. I was sort of into the whole gadget experience and collecting multiple razors and brushes. Now I’ve narrowed it down to one razor and one brush that works best for me and face lathering.

When I first started I bought a fancy scuttle. I was sort of into the whole gadget experience and collecting multiple razors and brushes. Now I’ve narrowed it down to one razor and one brush that works best for me and face lathering.
Ditto, I have yet to lather in a bowl.....But those copper Captains Choice are beautiful!!! And being an Electrician and all, "Do it PROPER, do it with Copper!!!".....However I have yet to bite on buying a copper razor......:)

It's somewhat seasonal for me. I can't really face lather when I have the winter beard going, so the big brushes get put away and the bowl comes out.

In the warm weather I enjoy face lathering to scrub the sweat and dirt off my face.

Sometimes I do a hybrid technique by starting to build lather in the bowl then finishing it on the face.

Also the bowl helps with brushes that eat lather. You can work up a huge amount that won't dissappear.

Ditto, I have yet to lather in a bowl.....But those copper Captains Choice are beautiful!!! And being an Electrician and all, "Do it PROPER, do it with Copper!!!".....However I have yet to bite on buying a copper razor......:)

Get yourself a Captain's Choice copper bowl. You won't regret it.

I’ve always face-lathered, probably because that’s how my old man did it and taught me. I recently got back into DE shaving and through this forum got my interest piqued by bowl lathering. Tried it for a couple of weeks and couldn’t see the point. Added more time and equipment and the resulting lather may be more Insta-worthy, but didn’t result in a better shave.

Added more time and equipment and the resulting lather may be more Insta-worthy, but didn’t result in a better shave.
I have a proposed answer to your observation. All of the razors, soaps, aftershaves, bowls, and assorted accessories are not about getting a better shave. They are not about the end result, instead they are about the process. Secondly, they are about variety.

A morning shave is "me time" for many here - pretty much a hobby. And as far as hobbies go, pretty reasonable.

I’ve always face-lathered, probably because that’s how my old man did it and taught me. I recently got back into DE shaving and through this forum got my interest piqued by bowl lathering. Tried it for a couple of weeks and couldn’t see the point. Added more time and equipment and the resulting lather may be more Insta-worthy, but didn’t result in a better shave.
I agree (see post #45). For me, the only reason I can see for bowl lathering is brush burn, which can occur with new brushes and if I apply too much pressure on the brush when face lathering. That can be a real concern, but easily adjusted.

Which is why I'm a big fan of AP Shave Co. brush knots. You can pick and choose brush knots based on accurate brush characteristics.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
What are the benefits to each. I religiously face lather however sometimes have dry skin perhaps due to too much exfoliation during face lathering. I have always thought face lathering to be the best way to get the cream in my hairs however I have never bowl lathered then applied as I am unsure how to.
Any help appreciated
I’m strictly a face latherer. Used a bowl for years but decided to eliminate that extra step and hassle of cleaning the bowl after the shave.

I'm a recent convert to face lathering, after exclusively bowl lathering for 9 months.

The greatest benefit for me is that it forces me to thoroughly scrub my face with my brush to create lather.

When I bowl lather, I basically was washing or rinsing my beard, quickly painting on the lather from my bowl, and immediately shaving.

When I face lather, the brush is necessarily moving and scrubbing about my face much longer prior to the actual shave, which leads to better hydration of my whiskers.

Probably a "discipline" problem on my part, but why create a lather in a bowl, only to have to scrub my face with that lather when I can do both on my face?

...and the brush is always warm from dipping the tips in hot water between passes.

I can't quite put my finger on it but for some reason... well, I usually bowl lather.
I face lathered for many years until a few weeks ago...

I finally saw some copper shaving bowl thingy that I have been hoping would be available for sale in Canada for ages. Saw one at Fendrihan and pulled the trigger.

It is an amazing bowl and I now use it every shave.

Made by some captain guy apparently. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m strictly a face latherer. Used a bowl for years but decided to eliminate that extra step and hassle of cleaning the bowl after the shave.
I hear this about the so-called hassle of cleaning the bowl and I just don't understand it. You have to rinse the brush out, anyway, don't you? Just rinse the brush in the bowl. If anything, it actually makes it easier to rinse tue brush thoroughly, and the bowl doesn't have to be cleaned at all.

I'm a recent convert to face lathering, after exclusively bowl lathering for 9 months.

The greatest benefit for me is that it forces me to thoroughly scrub my face with my brush to create lather.

When I bowl lather, I basically was washing or rinsing my beard, quickly painting on the lather from my bowl, and immediately shaving.

When I face lather, the brush is necessarily moving and scrubbing about my face much longer prior to the actual shave, which leads to better hydration of my whiskers.

Probably a "discipline" problem on my part, but why create a lather in a bowl, only to have to scrub my face with that lather when I can do both on my face?

...and the brush is always warm from dipping the tips in hot water between passes.
This is another argument that I don't understand. The brush isn't for washing your face, and shaving isn't the only time one can clean one's face. Shaving soap isn't even meant for cleansing, it is made for lather stability, and the best shaving soaps are very low on cleansing, much less a shaving cream.

Exfoliation takes please nicely by running a razor over one's face, so face lathering isn't actually even helping with that.

Face latherers have a lot of myths they hold onto that just aren't true. The brush isn't raising and separating the stubble to allow a closer shave, either, in case you are wondering. Finally, face lathering doesn't cut down on the length of time it takes to shave.

This next part isn't aimed at any specific person, but at face latherers in general. If you prefer to face lather, I'm fine with that. There is no need to justify your preference with old tales that aren't even true, and there is no reason to look down upon or proselytize those of us who prefer to bowl lather. Bowl lathering and face lathering are simply two different ways to accomplish the same task. Neither method is inherently superior to the other.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I face lather most of time because its my preferred method and I really enjoy it. The only time I bowl later is if I get hard soap samples.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I hear this about the so-called hassle of cleaning the bowl and I just don't understand it. You have to rinse the brush out, anyway, don't you? Just rinse the brush in the bowl. If anything, it actually makes it easier to rinse tue brush thoroughly, and the bowl doesn't have to be cleaned at all.
I’m too OCD; would have to be perfect. Also don’t need another object on the sink. I’m very much a minimalist. Straight razor, ARKO stick, AS, brush, sponge and I’m good to go. Five minute shave & I’m done.

I like both ways. Face lathering seems a tad quicker for what's that worth. Tried bowl lathering a hard puck with synthetic brush. It was a real pain compared to my boar brushes. Then rubbed shaving stuck in my face and used it and wow it worked great. I like having another option in the rotation.

Face lathering never worked for me. I always wound up with either sub-par lather, or irritated skin. Bowl or mug lathering OTOH was quick and painless.

Top Bottom