What's new

"Extended Use" Rotations

I sort my rotation by mildness, weight and size. I don’t like following up my aluminum Standard Razor with my stainless steel Timeless .95 for example. Too much of a jump in aggression and weight.

I keep the same razor, blade, preshave, post shave. I only rotate the brush and change up the soap, depending on how much time I have. It’s always the Rockwell 6S #4 plate, Feather blade, Proraso White Preshave, Bosomo Alum Block, Hyaluronic Acid, moisturizer. The only rotation is between my Edwin Jagger Super Badger, West Coast Shaving Ancient Stone Synthetic, and Razorock 400 Aluminum Handle Plissoft Knot. I switch soaps using The Fat 90% of the time and switching off to TOBS Jermyn Street when I’m pressed for time.

My rotation is pretty simple. A blade usually lasts between 4 and 6 shaves and then I change it. I would also change the razor with a blade change but I have not been so inclined for many months. There is no set blade rotation but I rarely use the same blade that was just discarded. I have a five brush rotation with a new brush everyday. I use five soaps, each soap used through the five brush rotation and then on to the next soap. The brushes and soaps always stay in the same order of rotation. Witch hazel is the same every day. Aftershaves are whatever strikes my fancy that day. This gives me an opportunity to grow accustomed to the razor, blade and soap. My brushes have sufficient time to dry between uses.

I will occasionally slip in a razor for a day or two to commemorate my late wife’s birthday with a razor from her birth quarter (A4 Red Tip Superspeed); a razor that approximates the age my mother would be on her birthday (New SC or Goodwill #164); and a razor that approximates my father’s age on his birthday (Old Type).

Travel is different. I use the same razor, brush, soap and aftershave for the duration of the trip. Blades are changed if necessary but normally the same type of blade. This travel experience is what made me appreciate using the same items over multiple days.

This is my current rotation.
Install fresh blade.
1st shave with TOBS Sandlewood Cream.
2nd shave with Cella shave soap.
3rd shave is something seasonal. Right now I'm using southern Witchcraft Pomona shave soap. Its still technically Autumn. I haven't decided on a winter soap yet.
4th shave is something from my samples. I have a about half dozen samples I am using up.

I Mix it up more with the aftershave products.

Replace blade and start anew.

When i use up the Cella and TOBS I will add something new.

Top Bottom