What's new

"Extended Use" Rotations

Total gut instinct here, though I do tend to play favorites. I only shave every 2-4 days, so if the mood strikes for something to try between shaves, I tend to go with that for the next shave.

I try to break the daily routine by using different aftershaves. The rest of the setup changes less frequently within the month as I find that the quality of my shaves deteriorates with a constant rotation of products.

I will soon become a beginner once again, since I am expecting a straight razor to show up in the mail. My plan is to use a constant setup until I feel confident with my technique.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I try to break the daily routine by using different aftershaves. The rest of the setup changes less frequently within the month as I find that the quality of my shaves deteriorates with a constant rotation of products.

I will soon become a beginner once again, since I am expecting a straight razor to show up in the mail. My plan is to use a constant setup until I feel confident with my technique.
Welcome to the gentlemanly art of SR shaving. I will look forward to reading about how you progress.

My rotation is among 8 razors, and I generally shave every other day, so each one gets used 2-3 times in a month. That said, I will occasionally change to a 24- or 36-hour shave, and some razor I pick at random gets used a little more often that week or month. I haven't tried the "one razor all or most of the time" thing since I bought my second vintage, the Gillette Red Tip. 'Twould be interesting to do that, though.

Soaps and creams I choose at random, except that I like to use the Tabac when I'm working with the Merkur or Hoffritz razors, and Proraso Green cream when I use the Italian Fatip.

I'd love to see that Listerine blade bank!

You don't sound like you have "underthunk" your shaves; you know what you like my friend!
Here you go:
DSCN1003.JPG

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I am thinking that I should use items for several days in a row to really understand them, or re-connect.

Am I over thinking this? Your thoughts?

Dude, I AM the Over-thinker! (Well, maybe not. Feels like I am, though. That may be just perception.)

But I'm prepared to give you the benefit -- free of charge! -- of my incredible overthinkerness.

I rotate according to the blade. That is to say, I generally shave with one razor until I've killed the blade. Then I'll move on (or get out a fresh blade). I shave three times a week and live in a rather dry place -- I'll use a brush until I get tired of it with no problems. That means with most slants I shave for two weeks (6 shaves), with most Gem I'll get two weeks (6 shaves) and with AC format I'll get three weeks (9 shaves).

I can do this by giving preference to those razors that can actually do good work with a worn blade: RazoRock Wunderbar, Blackland Sabre and RazoRock Hawk V3SB.

Just to prove I can be inconsistent, I'll often use the first week of a blade to try out less efficient razors, then ring in the heavy hitters that I can depend on to see the blade the rest of the way to the bin.

O.H.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I change my razor and blade every day. Sometimes the soap too. But I normally use the same soap a couple of times in a row, or until the mood strikes for something else. I change my brush after a few shaves. Or sometimes I’ll use the same brush for weeks. But I typically never use the same razor twice in a row unless I’m traveling.

I generally pick a soap and a brush and stick with them for a week at a time. I have two SR’s. I use each for 3-4 days at a time splitting the week between them. On the weekend I will decide the finish for the next week. I generally stick with a finisher for about a month to let the finish develope. Sometimes more. This keeps things interesting without the need for constant choices which I find to be a chore.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Generally I prefer to pick a different combination every day.
However since September I have been on a 3017 kick so I am using my soap, aftershave, balm and moisturizer until I kill them

Unlike Dave @FarmerTan I believe in a set system. Precision is the name of the game for me!

I have over 30 brushes and use one and then go on to the next in rotation. I have many soaps but currently have 14 in rotation. I use two soaps a week alternating their use before going on to the next soap. As for razors, I have over 20 and take anywhere from two to four and use them alternative days until I need to change blades and go on to the next razor in rotation. The only items not in a rotation are razor blades. I pick one blade and keep that in the razor until I need to change it. Another constant is witch hazel: Thayers every day. I usually keep four ASB in rotation and three fragrances. Of course, my system goes out the window when I travel at which time it's one razor, brush, WH, ASB, and soap.

1606778095928.png

1606778175094.png

I'm currently playing Shave Roulette which provides for a random selection from up to 10 razors, blades, soaps, brushes, aftershaves, etc. Soneone rolls a random 4-digit number and that defines the day's selection from 4 different categories.

It's killing me.

As soon as possible I'm headed back to my totaly random, use whatever I feel like, devoid of definable logic, process to regain a modicum of personal happiness.

Just to prove I can be inconsistent, I'll often use the first week of a blade to try out less efficient razors, then ring in the heavy hitters that I can depend on to see the blade the rest of the way to the bin.

O.H.
^I learned to do this the hard way. Less aggressive settings or razors to start when trying out a new blade...

These responses have been great! Glad I am not the only one overthinking things.

To expound a little, I do rotate my brushes religiously. The type of brush will (usually, but not always) steer me towards certain soaps or creams. My softer synthetics and horse hair will lead me to use creamier softer soaps and the boars and badgers will lead me to use a harder soap. The soap will then guide me to use certain pre-shave creams and aftershaves.

The razors and blades are more random. Random SR if I have time and DE if rushed for time. (I do use the same DE blade in the same razor until it is used up, unless there is a specific reason to swap it to a different razor.)

Of course, sometimes I want things to look good for a picture and that will dictate my choices, including the facial toner and bowl/mug!

Last edited:
Total gut instinct here, though I do tend to play favorites. I only shave every 2-4 days, so if the mood strikes for something to try between shaves, I tend to go with that for the next shave.
What 2-4 days? You receive more shaving mail per week than times you shave! Another win for Gryffindor! Hahaha

Last edited:
My plan is to use a constant setup until I feel confident with my technique.
That is always my plan. Yet somehow ...

About as close as I've managed to get is if using an SE or DE I now tend to put in a blade and use that razor until time to change the blade.

I have erratic lathering skills (I shave with many a suboptimal lather) probably *because* I don't stick with one long enough to truly learn it; I mostly just pick one the night before that will suit my mood, the weather, the next day's events, or some other criterion, real or made up.

During Tabactober and N.O.vember, while I did not commit fully, I did revisit the target soap more times than I would have typically and I'm feeling like maybe sticking within a family of soaps might give me some run time on a base while allowing me to mix it up impulsively scent-wise. Sounds like a plan. :)

We'll see how *that* goes.

Last edited:
I think there's a lot of benefit to sticking with a soap for at least a couple weeks at a time. Soap tends to perform better when it's used regularly and soaks up some water IMO. Creams don't care as much so sometimes when I feel like a little variety, I'll use a cream for a day and then go back to the soap I'm working on. After finishing off a soap, I'll bounce around to a few different soaps or creams for a bit until I decide what the next soap I stick with for a while will be.

Mostly just out of laziness, I pop a blade in a razor and use it until the blade is done - usually about 3 or 4 shaves for DE blade. I've got about 5 razors that work really well for me and those get the most face time. It's taken me a while to figure out which ones work best for me but after doing this for long enough I think most of us will eventually find tools that work best for us and use them most. I'll use another less used razor once in a while just for some variety and I keep meaning to sell off some of the ones that I really never use anymore. Eventually I'll get around to it I guess.

Brushes get rotated around a little more but I still have a few that are my favorites and get used most.

After shaves get rotated quite a bit too but if I find something that goes especially well with the soap I'm using, I might stick with it for a while.

Well, With my razors, it's about using a blade until it's tired; so I'll use three different combinations as desired... so far, no rhyme or reason. I'll rotate a different razor when I feel the urge for a change. Toward the soaps/creams, I usually use a different 'flavor' every day. That will include a manufacturers' partnered aftershave lotion, balm, and EdTs if offered. My rotation here is 6 stacks with 4 or 5 different soaps in each. So I'll grab the next stack topper and place the one I just used at the bottom of that group. Works for me, and I don't tend to feel dissatisfied with the process because all the soaps I have in the rotation are known as good products. Oh, I also have the "old" products, Proraso, Cella, Tabac, and such, set aside for on-demand engagements!

So, the TL:dr? Ya, I know how you feel and shaving is personal. Don't worry, don't over think it, be Happy! (Just do it!)

I roll dice to pick prep, soap, and brush daily. Every two weeks I roll for a new razor. I’ll roll for pre-shave once a week and for blades as I bin them (though I start each razor on an Astra SP). I like the randomness of it.

That is always my plan. Yet somehow ...

About as close as I've managed to get is if using an SE or DE I now tend to put in a blade and use that razor until time to change the blade.

I have erratic lathering skills (I shave with many a suboptimal lather) probably *because* I don't stick with one long enough to truly learn it; I mostly just pick one the night before that will suit my mood, the weather, the next day's events, or some other criterion, real or made up.

During Tabactober and N.O.vember, while I did not commit fully, I did revisit the target soap more times than I would have typically and I'm feeling like maybe sticking within a family of soaps might give me some run time on a base while allowing me to mix it up impulsively scent-wise. Sounds like a plan. :)

We'll see how *that* goes.

Perhaps a way to approach this is to see every shave as a learning opportunity instead of an experience only designed for pleasure. Using the same soap with different types of brushes for example, breaks the daily routine and helps you understand how to get the most out of your soap.

My goal is to get rid of my stubble for 12+ hours and if I stick to a slowly changing setup, I can achieve that even with milder razors, just by getting used to the shaving angle. It also helps that I am down to 5 favorite soaps and 3 razors, so there is not much to choose from.

Since the shaving bug hit me earlier this year (after decades of shaving), I am questioning my rotation technique. To me the primary parts of a shave are the shaving cream/soap, brush (if used), and razor/blade. Then secondary is the pre-shave cream, toner, aftershave balm/lotion, etc. As my hobby has taken off, I have acquired quite a few options. For the most part I have been rotating all of these tools/accessories on a daily basis.

I am thinking to really understand each soap, razor (SR, DE. SE, etc.) and blade, I should use them for a few days or more straight. I tend to use an SR, then rotate to a different SR - mixed in with DE shaves - and visa versa. On the SR side, I don't really remember how I stropped it the last time. Did I do a quick paste strop, etc. On the DE side do I remember how the blade at that setting/gap perform. And for soaps, especially new ones, does it perform more dry, does it have good lasting characteristics, etc.

I am thinking that I should use items for several days in a row to really understand them, or re-connect. [I would say it makes sense to let a brush rest for more than a day to make sure it is completely dry. But maybe rotate between two brushes for a week.]

Am I over thinking this? Your thoughts?

Your point is well taken!

IMO sticking with some (or a few) items for awhile allows me to figure out how to optimize my results. For me this is especially true with soaps. Over time I have pretty much settled into my razor (down to 2) and brush (‘down‘ to around 8-10) preferences. So these days I focus on other ADs. :a21: :a21:

Top Bottom