What's new

Explain it to me like I'm five year old!

Couple of years ago I decided I had enough of cartridges and purchased a QShave (a mid range adjustable razor) to replace my 20 year old Gillette Sensor (I would buy cartridges in bulk so the cost per shave wasn’t that bad, but it was nowhere near the economics of safety blades!). I also choose Feathers blades after reading about them (mostly here).

Now I shave my head too; in fact my younger days ladies were telling me I was a dead ringer for Vin Diesel, so I had quite the success with the ladies due to my bald head... Oh the good days! :c9:. I basically shave in the shower while my skin is wet and relaxed.

However no matter which gap adjustment I would choose on the QShave, I still had nicks and cuts, sometimes on my face, but almost every time on my head. I had to go super slow and super careful but would almost inevitably get a cut or two on the head; as you may know, the head has lots of small bumps and irregularities so I thought these cuts were unavoidable. I also tried different blades but it was worse and I always came back to Feathers.

Then I broke the QShave (dropped it in the shower) and decided to get a Rockwell 6S instead. I settled on the plate #4 for my head and started shaving my head with an incredible improvement in comfort, basically in half the time I used to, without a single nick or cut! I could do it eyes closed if I wanted now, due to performance and comfort improvement! In order to stop switching plates for my face I also bought an Above The Tie R1 on Kronos handle (again, after reading about it here). That one is amazing and gives me consistent facial shaves without any hints of cuts or irritations (the head has rusted but ATT is sending me another one - that’s another story).

So, my question is, what it is that made the QShave give me cuts, despite being adjustable, compared to the 6S and R1 which give me smooth, irritation free, and cut free shaves? By playing with the gaps on the QShave, I am sure could be pretty close to the same actual gap than found on the 6S and R1, but the QShave could never give me cut free shaves. Why? I've been thinking about it, examining and comparing the razors' heads, but cannot really understand; is is the use of different (better) materials, simply?

I don't know any of the razors you are describing, but could it have to do with the blade exposure instead of the gap? I am fairly new to wet shaving (a year and a half), so if someone has a better idea please override. That or maybe the blade just didn't align very well with the Qshave? Either way, at least now you have what sounds like a wonderful set up for you! Congratulations on that for sure! I am still looking for that perfect setup. Getting closer, but still looking.

In this case you got what you pay for. A plastic adjustable razor. Chuck it and for another 20-30 bucks you could get the real McCoy - a vintage Gillette Slim (made of Nickel) still going strong 50+ years later. As for ATT. Now your talking.....

Last edited:
The QShave adjustable razor is a Chinese made razor modeled after the Merkur Futur. I have not used either, but I know that on the higher settings, the Merkur Futur is quite aggressive. I have read that the QShave might be slightly less aggressive than the Futur.

The Feather blades you selected are the sharpest blades available, at least out of the wrapper. There are others that are similar in sharpness after the first shave.

It might be that the QShave adjustable equipped with a Feather blade was just too aggressive for use on your head. It may be that you were not using the optimal shaving angle when shaving your head while in the shower. I do not shave my head, but can imagine that achieving the right angle while shaving different parts of your head might be difficult.

In this case you got what you pay for. A plastic adjustable razor. Chuck it and for another 20-30 bucks you could get the real McCoy - a vintage Gillette Slim (made of Nickel) still going strong 50+ years later. As for ATT. Now your talking.....

No, you must be thinking of another product. The QShave Parthenon is not a plastic adjustable razor. It's a brass razor, and it's an Amazon's Choice product due to its popularity.

Got me. I have the Ming Shi, which is almost exactly like the Q shave Futur clone, and it is SMOOOTH and comfortable.

I don't know any of the razors you are describing, but could it have to do with the blade exposure instead of the gap?

Ah so blade exposure is different than the gap? Could be! I thought the gap created the blade exposure? 🤔

I'm new to DE shaving too (couple of years) and only recently have been thinking about the "mechanics" involved in shaving.

Got me. I have the Ming Shi, which is almost exactly like the Q shave Futur clone, and it is SMOOOTH and comfortable.

Actually I gifted a Merkur Futur clone by QShave to my brother's 18 year old son to get him into wet shaving with DE; but the model I had was the Parthenon, a bit different (see pic) - maybe it was the clone of another Merkur? I am not sure.

04-2.png

The Qshave is very aggressive, even on its lowest setting. I used it one time...... never again.

You are right! Actually I just found this article. In it, the QShave Parthenon is deemed "a dangerous, fanged animal" and "at its mildest setting the Parthenon is quite aggressive (...). At the high end it’s positively ludicrous".

So it seems the design was very very aggressive, and apparently QShave has released a V2 of that razor, and the reviewer gives his thumb up to the second version.

Mystery solved!

No, you must be thinking of another product. The QShave Parthenon is not a plastic adjustable razor. It's a brass razor, and it's an Amazon's Choice product due to its popularity.

Yes I guess I was referring to the 15 dollar plastic Classic adjustable Q model. I did not realize they had a metal version....

Last edited:
Qshave adjustable razor is known to be very aggressive. Also, it's a mass produced razor so the QC can be off. Also, the plastic material is not the most stable of the materials. Some people have great shaves with it but also others do not, like yourself. I have not had good experiences with Chinese razors but that's just me.

Blades slicing skin irregularities (bumps) down to the capillaries results in weepers. A less sharp blade, less blade exposure and better supported blade will all result with less weepers.

Feather is extremely sharp and TTOs don't have good blade support (the Future clone is even worse). At least you can crank down the blade exposure on an adjustable razor, but still your skin requires less skin exfoliation. If you crank too low to avoid weepers, you'll end up with not very close and patchy shave.

I'd recommend trying Astra SP and Gillette Platinum blades. They will skate over skin bumps where a Feather, BIC or Gillette Yellows will relentlessly slice through, but still be sharp enough to go through stubble without tugging. They may feel tuggy at first just because you're used to the Feather but give it time and you'll adjust.

Last edited:
So, my question is, what it is that made the QShave give me cuts, despite being adjustable, compared to the 6S and R1 which give me smooth, irritation free, and cut free shaves? By playing with the gaps on the QShave, I am sure could be pretty close to the same actual gap than found on the 6S and R1, but the QShave could never give me cut free shaves. Why? I've been thinking about it, examining and comparing the razors' heads, but cannot really understand; is is the use of different (better) materials, simply?

There is a lot of engineering that goes into making a DE blade work. The razor head needs to hold the blade tight, align it perfectly square and symmetrical on both sides and it needs to bend the blade to create tension which keeps the very thin blade from flexing and cutting your face, and the curvature of the blade will make it shave at different angles and it needs to control how much of the actual blade is exposed and the gap between the blade and the safety bar.

These all work together and changing each thing can affect the other parts of the razor.
For example, My Razorock 37 has a lot of blade exposed, but it has a lot of extra tension from being a slant and the guide bar is far away but at the same angle as the blade's angle which actually makes it a very mild shaver though it doesn't look like it would be.
Something like an R41 has very little gap between the blade and the head, and it's got relatively low blade exposure. But the tension on the blade is low so it sticks out very far and remains flexible which is why it's a very agressive razor. Observations on Muhle R41 from a noob. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/observations-on-muhle-r41-from-a-noob.546880/

There are also some razors that either by design or poor manufacturing, will cause the corners of the blade to curve slightly outward and the corners are the most likely place to cause cuts. Single edge razors usually have the corners of their blades covered but with the price of SE blades right now...

There is also something to be said about the ergonomics. A razor that is too heavy or not well balanced can cause you to put too much pressure which will result in cuts and irritation.

The Parthenon is not modeled after the futur. I understand they rebuilt the thing and it works better now, but the original Parthenon release (which I bought for nearly $50) is complete rubbish. The razor is not worth using. I shaved with it twice and is now in the drawer of shame. The Rockwell 6 system is excellent and should provide you with great face and/or head shaves.

My spare razor is a Manion M5, a Futur clone. It gives a great shave with no fuss. It is a little tricky to get under the nose.

Top Bottom