What's new

Expert camp cook?

Searching for 'camp cook' here is apparently too vague, so I'll just start this thread to ask.

I was looking for some ideas over at Youtube but, there, too, the search terms I tried were too common to really narrow down the results I was looking for.

Can anyone recommend a good Youtube channel/user who posts regular videos on campfire cooking?

Not exactly what you're looking for but a decent dish I fix. As a matter of fact, I'm leaving the office early today and my son and I are spending the weekend in the woods. No electricity, not a campground - just the woods. I rode my Harley to the office and my truck is sitting in the driveway with the boat on the back ready to go.

My son and I are potato lovers. After I get a good fire going, I wait a bit and dig a little pit next to it 'bout the size for 8 potatos. Before leaving the house I cut up some onion. I open the potato and put a big pat of butter, onion and pour some virgin olive oil on it. Wrap it up very well in aluminum foil and keep them in your cooler. Put the potatos in the little pit, recover with dirt and pull your fire on top of it. Oh they just melt, we eat peel and all.

If we catch and filet fish I do the same with them. Wrap an individual slab, with two pats of butter and cajun seasoning sprinkled on them, in aluminum foil. Pop them in mother nature's oven.

Google "Low Country Boil." That's a popular camp site dish and it might lead you to others.

Brad

Searching for 'camp cook' here is apparently too vague, so I'll just start this thread to ask.

I was looking for some ideas over at Youtube but, there, too, the search terms I tried were too common to really narrow down the results I was looking for.

Can anyone recommend a good Youtube channel/user who posts regular videos on campfire cooking?

No recommendations, but a question or two. What sort of cooking and camping are you going to do? A big group in cold weather far from vehicles is quite different than car camping for two where it is warm. Also, do you really mean campfire? Cooking over a fresh campfire is not a usual thing for most campers to do. Most campers now-a-days use a camp stove of some sort. There is too much population pressure in most parks for the old approach of using an axe to cut big branches, and to build a large fire for cooking.

Comments?

Try "youtube dutch oven cooking". Most of the time when we pack in the back country it's dutch oven time.

get yourself a Lodge 12" dutch oven and learn how to use it. You won't go far wrong.

Huge +1! Get a white cake mix, a can of peaches and a stick of butter! Toss it all together and place your eight coals on the bottom and, if I remember right, 15 on the top. You will be everyones favorite and you didn't do hardly anything!

RFD TV got several shows about campfire, cowboy or chuckwagon cooking.

You need a Dutch oven with legs and a Cast Iron skillet.

The original post was too vague.

Are you backpacking? Car Camping? Small Car or SUV?

Dutch Ovens are great. I own about 10 Lodge cast iron pieces which I regularly use and mostly leave at home when it comes time to load the car for camping with the exception of a double griddle or skillet. For us this simply has to do with space, rain/moisture (Vermont is not called "The Green Mountain State" due to it's dry cilmate) and the longer time associated with Dutch Oven cookery. However, I often use cast iron dutch ovens at home and there's no better way to cook IMHO.

Camping in the northeast at mostly state parks, most of the naturally fallen, dry wood is already picked over leaving buying commercially cut, green wood as an only option, so we primarily are camp stove cooks. However as memory serves here are a few tips for cooking over an open fire.

1. Cook over coals rather than flame. The best heat comes from the coals of an existing fire.
  2. Rub the outside of your pots/pans with dish/hand soap (not sure about this on cast iron, but yes for old aluminum/steel cookware).
  3. Google Foil Packet cookery - a little meat/fish/potatoes/veggies, wrapped in a double-foil packet, laid on the coals for 20 minutes, flipped once provides delicious individual meals - be careful of steam when opening.
  4. Be aware of critters who enjoy your food as much as you do. Dispose of food scraps and trash. Be sure your food is packed somewhere safe. There's little that's more exciting than having a motivated raccoon going through your chuck box at 2:00 am.
Perhaps if the O.P. gives some more info, we can respond more in depth.

Top Bottom