What's new

Experiences with Viking Soaps?

So I've been finding more about Viking soaps and cosmetics (And brushes). Andrew seems like he knows what he's doing and his products seem pretty decent. I've seen some older reviews on his soaps but has anyone tried his newest bases? I think he made some changes here and there and I'm wondering what they're like. I'll probably have a couple soaps on their way soon.

Superb soap made by a real scientist to boot!! 👍

It’s what I reach for when I’m in-between Grooming Dept tubs! Haslinger is a pretty good benchmark performance wise to compare it against. The lather of Viking is thicker and more protective, the post shave is a little bit cleaner and a smidge drier but I still can easily get by with no pre or post shave whatsoever.

I honestly am on a mission to find out if the quality post shave is because of aloe content, because this and GD are high in aloe and they have a similar post-post shave effect for me that’s lacking in most other soaps.

I have, and use often, a tub of their Citron SS. Very nice, gives great skincare, smells great, easy to lather and has all the things a top flight SS should have. I'm very happy with it.

Didn't Shaving Revolution and Vikings Blade combine to make Viking Revolution? I may be wrong.

Last edited:
Had no idea Viking had a formula change....interesting...really like their soap base. Scents can be subjective but Ironside is a toned down Leather scent that is not overpowering, also have samples of Citron and Tree Of Life and none of them are overly strong, scented just right IMO.

Their ingredients are excellent and the price/value make it well worth trying.

This thread caused me to break out Ironside this morning. I had a great 3 pass BBS shave. With all the soaps in my inventory, I guess Viking has just been overlooked. Its a great value at $12 for 5 oz. Nice post shave also. I just wish the scent of Ironside was a little stronger because I really like the scent. I didn't remember this soap being so protective but I really put it to the test this morning.

I have, and use often, a tub of their Citron SS. Very nice, gives great skincare, smells great, easy to lather and has all the things a top flight SS should have. I'm very happy with it.
Had no idea Viking had a formula change....interesting...really like their soap base. Scents can be subjective but Ironside is a toned down Leather scent that is not overpowering, also have samples of Citron and Tree Of Life and none of them are overly strong, scented just right IMO.

Their ingredients are excellent and the price/value make it well worth trying.
How do you guys describe the scent of Citron? I'm interested in getting that one but I heard a review saying that it smells like lemon cookies. I'm not much of a lemon cookie fan and I'd rather smell a refreshing citrus scent.

This thread caused me to break out Ironside this morning. I had a great 3 pass BBS shave. With all the soaps in my inventory, I guess Viking has just been overlooked. Its a great value at $12 for 5 oz. Nice post shave also. I just wish the scent of Ironside was a little stronger because I really like the scent. I didn't remember this soap being so protective but I really put it to the test this morning.
Nice review. I saw some mixed opinions about Viking soaps. Maybe the change in the base were significant? Do you know which base you're using?

How do you guys describe the scent of Citron? I'm interested in getting that one but I heard a review saying that it smells like lemon cookies. I'm not much of a lemon cookie fan and I'd rather smell a refreshing citrus scent.

I have a terrible sense of smell. Something has to be extremely strong for me to get it. As far as Citron scent goes, I get citrus and tallow. I like it

Nice review. I saw some mixed opinions about Viking soaps. Maybe the change in the base were significant? Do you know which base you're using?
I really don't know. My soap has an older label so I guess its the older formula. But the soap did contain aloe, mango butter, Lanolin, Shea butter, and Apricot kernel oil. It actually was very protective and I got a BBS shave with no irritation. I think the key for me was to load enough soap and add enough water that I could get 3-4 dense lather passes. I wouldn't say the soap was super slick, but certainly slick enough, protective and let a nice post shave feel.

I have a tub of old Norse, which id rate as my current favorite “clean laundry” type scent.

I’m in hard water country, but I can load like I hate it, add water slowly, and whip up a thick fluffy shiny protective lather that seems to have a neutral to lightly moisturizing post shave that goes all day. BBS, but I’m a straight shaver so that’s a given anytime I go ATG. One thing I’ve noticed is the badger brush does better than the boar, maybe water retention related?

Anyways it’s not grooming dept post shave, but all around it’s a solid performer for me and at $12 I think it’s a no-brainer to order another tub when this one runs dry.

I have a tub of old Norse, which id rate as my current favorite “clean laundry” type scent.

I’m in hard water country, but I can load like I hate it, add water slowly, and whip up a thick fluffy shiny protective lather that seems to have a neutral to lightly moisturizing post shave that goes all day. BBS, but I’m a straight shaver so that’s a given anytime I go ATG. One thing I’ve noticed is the badger brush does better than the boar, maybe water retention related?

Anyways it’s not grooming dept post shave, but all around it’s a solid performer for me and at $12 I think it’s a no-brainer to order another tub when this one runs dry.
That seems like a pretty close description to what I'm imagining. Solid working soap that does the job well. I also wonder how much menthol Iceland has. I'm excited to try them out.

...Anyways it’s not grooming dept post shave, but all around it’s a solid performer for me and at $12 I think it’s a no-brainer to order another tub when this one runs dry.

He makes balm as well:

F088E9BB-7E1A-4147-8145-5D5BE3824486.jpeg8FA14B99-4546-4F84-8CD1-2BB67223B6D2.jpeg
Pretty awesome lather. Makes practically any face look decent.

Nice! How was the shave with the soap?

It’s always pretty good for me! I’d say it’s a lighter fluffier lather than many of the modern soaps that are popular on here. The closest common comparison is probably kg brick Cella, but with more oils and fats and a better post shave. I’d say it’s a pretty similar blade-on-face feel, where I can definitely cut myself through the soap if I’m sloppy. The benefit is if I’m not sloppy, it’s BBS everywhere with solid post shave. I had completely forgotten how cheap this soap is for what you get.

Top Bottom